• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stress Fracture...grrr...

hammer

Upside of all of the running I've been doing is that my cardio during MA workouts is much better...downside is that I suffered a fibular stress fracture just above the ankle a few weeks ago. It was most likely due to a combo of running mileage increase, participating in a 10K road race, and continuing to do normal MA workouts through pain. Sure there are some running mechanics issues going on as well.

I'm now having to keep all weight off of the leg for a few weeks and I may get back to workouts in a few weeks after that.

Just wanted to post this to provide a reminder to others to listen to pain and not always try to push through it. I'm just hoping that somehow the cardio improvements made will be easier to regain once I can get back out to running again.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all...now at the phase where I can walk around with a boot. Have been doing limited strength training and a few basic Pilates workouts (which kicked my butt), but nothing significant. Should be able to do low impact leg activity (exercise bike, elliptical) in 2 weeks. Plan on going back to workouts even if it means all I'll be doing for forms is Chon Ji and Tan Gun.

Biggest downer is that I'm on the sidelines for our club's tournament this weekend. Only got cleared to put weight on it recently, so I couldn't even come up with a board break that I could practice enough.

Time, Time, Time! This will be an exercise of patience, but take the time and let it heal. When the time comes, see a physiotherapist to give you the right exercises, you'll need to work on the posterior chain and possibly the ankle as well.

When all is well again, make sure you add posterior chain exercises to your routine, as good as running can be it does not touch the back side of your legs and a lot of runners have issues with knees, hips, etc due to the muscle imbalance. Exercises like deadlifts, squats, lunges, standing calf raises, etc. And don't forget the lower back as it's all attached.

Good luck on your recovery.

Time, Time, Time! This will be an exercise of patience, but take the time and let it heal. When the time comes, see a physiotherapist to give you the right exercises, you'll need to work on the posterior chain and possibly the ankle as well.

When all is well again, make sure you add posterior chain exercises to your routine, as good as running can be it does not touch the back side of your legs and a lot of runners have issues with knees, hips, etc due to the muscle imbalance. Exercises like deadlifts, squats, lunges, standing calf raises, etc. And don't forget the lower back as it's all attached.

Good luck on your recovery.

Good post, I agree. Take your time and heal up right the first time. Re-injury will only set you back further. I know its tough, but it will be worth it.

Got to a workout on Monday night. Couldn't do kicks yet and ended up doing Chon Ji and Tan Gun over and over again but it felt good to work up at least a little sweat...

Tough part is after spending 13-14 years working on power in a hard style it can be tough to dial back techniques to prevent injury.

Please..just don't rush the healing process. I know it's hard and quite tempting at times, if not all of the time, but time heals all wounds if allowed to.

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Please..just don't rush the healing process. I know it's hard and quite tempting at times, if not all of the time, but time heals all wounds if allowed to.

Imho!!

:)

Hear you...I missed out on a tournament and a few road races I wanted to run in due to this injury and I don't want that to happen again if at all possible.