• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Antonio Diaz (Ven) Mistake

Nidan Melbourne

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I haven't seen it yet (and a a Shotokan practitioner don't know Suparinpei all that well anyway)but did he make a mistake ordeliberately introduce a variation.

New rules say

Any traditional karate kata may be performed with the exception of weapons kata (Kobudo).

Variations as taught by the contestant’s school of Karate will be permitted.

I haven't seen it yet (and a a Shotokan practitioner don't know Suparinpei all that well anyway)but did he make a mistake ordeliberately introduce a variation.

New rules say

Any traditional karate kata may be performed with the exception of weapons kata (Kobudo).

Variations as taught by the contestant’s school of Karate will be permitted.

As much as the rules say variations are allowed now. He admitted in an interview after the match that he had indeed made a mistake.

It is a good kata to watch/learn/do as it is one of the most advanced kata in the goju-ryu system

:-?

:-?

...sorry not worked with either style and have no idea what either kata is or should look like when performed.

I get that a mistake was made as the judges appeared to have spotted at the end of both performances, but what exactly the mistake was...sorry I'm lost!

The judges reaction tells me some aspect of the thee first three steps/movements of his performance.... Sorry need help here, what was done and what should have been done please?

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

In the kata he did he stepped with his left foot when he should have stepped with his right foot.

As most of the goju kata start with the right foot moving (to either turn or have in front).

That is why the referees were talking about it at the end

Ouch!

thanks for the clarification.

(Done that myself with Sanchin kata....got a massive dressing done for it as well!)

So a fundamental mistake, performed at the start of the kata....

...he wins 4-1!

At that level of competitions, a win is not what I would expect to see!

Nerves 100% have a role to play in any contest, no matter what the level.

Rules are set and a competitor is expected to follow them...a win no sorry not liking that at all and defiantly not with that margin.

....'politics'.....one of the other reasons I stopped training all them years ago!

Work was teh main reason it had to win...I had to eat and pay the bills, but politics were really starting to grind me down!

The politics of competition at play here?

I believe that's possible. But, not having first hand knowledge of why it was scored in the manner of which it was, and from what I saw, and considering that I might be quite familar with said Kata, I would've deducted appropriately my final score to reflect that.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!