• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What annoys me about some National Sporting Leagues

Nidan Melbourne

As stated in the title what annoys me about some National Sporting leagues. That some leagues around the world use the phrase "World Champions" or similar.

Personally you should be using that phrase if the national league consists of only 1 country (2 max) you shouldn't use it as it would be considered arrogant (in my humble opinion). For me the only time you could use that phrase is if you have many countries (like the olympics) competing for the title.

You might have international players competing for teams but still doesn't have representative teams in that competition.

Like the WWE or TNA (as much as they are staged) they get the right to have a world champion as they employ people of any nationality to compete individually or as a team.

What annoys you about National Sporting Leagues?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
You might have international players competing for teams but still doesn't have representative teams in that competition.

Like the WWE or TNA (as much as they are staged) they get the right to have a world champion as they employ people of any nationality to compete individually or as a team.

I don't think the WWE or TNA example really makes sense because why is it OK for them to employ international players for teams but not others? All of the national sporting leagues of the highest level also employ people of any nationality to compete as a team.

Generally, all sports have a pre-eminent league where the most talented players of that sport wish to compete. Often, teams within that sport have extensive scouting departments with representatives covering countries with serious interest in that sport. If they are truly the best, they will usually end up in the pre-eminent league, unless they make a personal choice to stay in their own country, are contractually obligated to someone or there are some political reasons.

But those types of exceptions, red tape, extenuating circumstances, etc. are always present. Which means that there can never be a "world champion" to this standard and the term has to be retired. I mean, the average pre-eminent sports league really has no less valid a claim to "world champion" than any martial arts "world champion" or even the Olympics, where many of the premiere athletes do not compete or, at least, historically, did not compete or were not allowed because they were not amateurs.

To me, it's just a term. I don't find it arrogant and it doesn't bother me because it doesn't hurt me. It's kinda sorta the type of thing you have to choose to take badly, when you could just as easy choose to look at it as "world champions of ," which is what it really is. :)