• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You are all amazing

Today there is a big youth tournament going on at a city about 1.5 hours away. Sensei and most of the senior instructors are all up there, either judging, coaching, or cheering on their own children. There was one lonely Shodan left to teach classes today for adults and any children not participating in the tournament. It didn't seem right to leave him to deal with that all by himself, so I offered to help out with the beginners class (white and yellow belts) and he eagerly accepted my offer. I just got my brown belt in April, and this was the first time I have ever been on the 'other side' of a class.

It was like herding cats! It certainly gave me a new appreciation for anyone who stands up at the front of a class on a regular basis. I'd like to give a big round of applause to anyone who instructs. You are all amazing!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good job on stepping up. Sometimes being a black belt is not about only technique, but about character as well.

There was a time in our dojo where everyone that made brown belt had to help teach. Part of the requirement to make black belt.

We weren't expecting to make teachers out of them, unless of course they wanted to, but to give them an insight into it. Also, by helping teach, it re-enforces what they've learned.

Tony

Very different in the front...

So long as you don't get "used" to teach beginners long term then it's always a good experience to be out front now and again.

You soon realise that the students become your mirrors so you have to ensure you are perfect! (or as close to it as you can) :)

Good job on stepping up. Sometimes being a black belt is not about only technique, but about character as well.

There was a time in our dojo where everyone that made brown belt had to help teach. Part of the requirement to make black belt.

We weren't expecting to make teachers out of them, unless of course they wanted to, but to give them an insight into it. Also, by helping teach, it re-enforces what they've learned.

That's what i love about teaching students :) When i teach i see things that they are doing wrong and when i correct them, i realize that i do that and i'm able to correct what i'm doing.

Even if I have difficult students, I still learn a lot from them. Even if i realize that I act like a complete pain in the butt during my class (which would annoy the hell out of my sensei).

Even if you teach a few classes over the years, you'll spot things that you can improve on.

Teaching can be a challenge! Great that you stepped up to help, and got a taste of it. Thanks for the kudos to instructors, as well. Its nice to be appreciated! :)

Thanks everyone, but volunteering was no big deal.... moms are pretty good at just seeing something that needs to be done and doing it! :P I really don't think I have the patience to ever instruct on a regular basis, but helping out occasionally is probably a good thing, for many of the reasons that you all mentioned. :)