• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Scared New Nikyu

That's me. Just got promoted to Nikyu tonight. Had another one of those classes where I was vastly outnumbered (two 4th Dans, a 7th Dan, an 8th Dan... and me...) but I did ok. Then at one point while we were waiting for people to go grab some things my head instructor just had me do the kata I've been working on while he watched and then declared me a 2nd kyu and then as people trickled back in he just told each one and they shook my hand. We're not very big on pomp and circumstance. :D

I'm a little nervous. I've definitely seen myself improve a heck of a lot lately and I'm feeling good, but I know it's going to get very tedious very fast now. It's becoming a lot more about the details. And this is really the last step before black belt where I'm actually concentrating on new material. After that it's pretty much all review and preparation. Scary...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know how you feel about getting outnumbered. when i was a kyu graded karateka i was the only one who a kyu ranked student. the rest were highly ranked dan graded students.

now it isn't like that since i moved schools. As now i am the 2nd highest ranked student at my school as a 2nd dan (the other is a 2nd dan also but he has trained for much longer than i).

The other students in my class are; 2 nidans (myself and the other nidan that i said before), 4 shodans, 5 shodan-hos, and 1 1st kyu.

It is scary when you are learning new curriculum before your black belt, then the review and preparation. It is amazing when you do get to that stage where you realise how much you have actually learnt and how much you have improved.

Congratulations! I honestly don't know which is harder--being scared about an impending test for rank, or being suddenly given a rank and not knowing for sure if you're ready for it. I've always had belt tests to be nervous about, but once or twice I was double-graded and it certainly freaked me out to be suddenly held to (what I perceived as) a much higher standard.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 2 weeks later...

Btw,

Don't be scared as a new Nikyu. I always say this...

Let the testing cycle take care of itself. Why? Because one has enough to worry about other than the testing cycle(s).

What I know about you from reading your posts is that you're right spot on in your current MA betterment.

You did it...you passed it...now onto Ikkyu!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!