• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

stances help

ozm8

Hey guys I have started Karate finally can now perform first kata but my instructor keeps telling me when i move that I'm too stiff and I look like a robot, how do i stop this lol

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Walk across the room. Now when you step in your stances, especially in shizentai-dachi do it the same way when you walked across the room. I found that many times a students step in a jerking type fashion, or stop and go when adding punching or blocking. Just step naturally.

Tony

Yep, relax! Step relaxed which will flow and be a lot quicker, when you deliver the punch/block then tense at the end of the technique.

You can break down a stepping punch, for example, into small stages.

Step and move feet together keeping knees bent, move foot out about a couple of feet but keep the arms as they were. In the last part of the step the front foot rushes into full Zenkutzu Dachi (front stance) and at the same time the arms change so that one punches as the other snaps back to the hip - it is during this last stage that you tense all muscles and lock out your back leg.

When you step again completely relax and drop your shoulders.

This can take a while to master but don't worry, at the early Kyu grade it is okay to just get the move right. Relax more.

Hey guys I have started Karate finally can now perform first kata but my instructor keeps telling me when i move that I'm too stiff and I look like a robot, how do i stop this lol

Practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

As many have mentioned, relax; tension in your body is a major factor in "robotics". Your movements should feel natural according to your own body, and be within your natural range of motion. For instance, my forward stance (front leg / knee bent, back leg straight and solid) isn't going to look or measure exactly the same as yours. My body is not your body, and vice versa. Same with all the other stances.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

CredoTe says " For instance, my forward stance (front leg / knee bent, back leg straight and solid) isn't going to look or measure exactly the same as yours. My body is not your body, and vice versa. Same with all the other stances."

Well said CredoTe. And to reinforce what the other's have said - RELAX.