• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How would you deal with this case

How would you respond to this?:

Case:

Parent A (we will call Janet - not her real name) and Child A (Chucky), Parent B (jackie) and Child B (Tommy). Both children started at the same time (14-15 years of age), both teens get up to their green belt at the exact same time.

The kids memberships expire, and is up for renewal. When "Janet" (Parent A) is renewing with the sensei she is explaining that the family is in a tough financial situation currently (even though she didnt have to, but she showed the sensei both her and her husbands most current bank statement, which inded showed that they were in a tough spot financially), and she had asked if there was anyway that "Chucky" could continue training and how she could pay for the classes. The sensei agrees to let him continue training, and for safety reasons he still needs insurance, so he works out a payment plan which can vastly help with the costs of training him and still have him on board.

"Jackie" (parent b) hears this conversation (as she was waiting to renew also), and demands the exact same membership as he just agreed with "Janet". but the sensei refuses as "Jackie" has no valid reason to make any special deal with the school. As "Jackie" and her family are an upper class family whilst Parent A's family is lower-middle class. "Jackie" and her family never made any contributions to the school nor has there been any favortism for her child.

She [Jackie] decides to take Tommy out of the school, because of this. But what she didn't know was the other family was struggling.

The school has three families (upper class families) that sponsor the school, and also does sponsor kids to join up.

Both children have been friends since they were in kindergarden. Tommy apologised to Chucky and to sensei about that. and they didnt want anything to do with that.

But before Jackie and Tommy left, one of the sponsors came forward as they are always there watching the students so the sensei and sempais can get a drink and deal with parents. He offered to pay for Chucky's classes until the family can get back onto their feet (and they NEVER have to pay it back).

Not to that sponsors knowledge the 2 other sponsoring families were there also and both donated $1 million dollars (Australian Dollar) to the family. After the 1st sponsor left.

Now how Would you deal with this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Money and Karate.....

Luckily we do it for Karate and the embaressing money part is kept to a minimum to cover costs.

I would in future keep all conversations about money confidential or via email, I have let people off fees before due to problems but it's between me and them only.

I've also had people claim poverty to try and get a small reduction...

I got a bit confused with the story but I would talk to them all individually and explain your reasons, if you set up a payment plan with someone as a short term solution to continue their training then this is up to you.

If someone wants to sponsor students then they are very lucky - nobody should be losing friends of this!

This was an interesting story. But this didn't occur at my school thank god.

We charge different amounts according to length. So either you pay for x amount of lessons, monthly or yearly.

The sensei had actually told them that the financial conversation was best handled privately.

The sponsors who help fund the school had no real stipulations on the school performing. All they said was to run the school and provide the best instruction of karate you can. All costs for business registration and location hire is covered.

I agree that keeping the talk of fee payment confidential between instructor and student/parent paying the fees. That way, these issues can be avoided.