• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which would be the best to go for out of these two?

Lau Gar or Maui Thai (sp?)

Apparently those are the two best martial arts available to me in my area, from what I've ascertained from other people with the know-how.

I'm mainly interested in one that teaches practical and applicable fighting techniques, particularly ground-fighting as I'm well informed that about 70% of fight end up on the ground. Also one that improves fitness in the process is also desirable (Yes, I know they all do, but I imagine some do more than others :P )

Also, does anyone know of a comprehensive site or forum on the internet that can help you locate all the martial arts classes for all the different martial art disciplines that are active in your local area?

Cheers :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sometimes the phone book is more complete than the internet for local MAs. My advice would be to invest a couple of nights and check things out in person. Sometimes what you see or read on the net and what you see in person are two different things. Good luck.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I'm not sure about lau guar, but muay thai has clinching, kicking, punching, elbows, knees, and it's easy to learn and very effective. You should expect to focus on sparring at least 60 percent of class, and it has lots of conditioning too. It's great if you want to be able to fight, but don't take it if you just want self defense without injuring your opponent, because you will. :) The only downside is that from what everyone tells me, by the time you're old you can't really do it because it's so hard and your shins might brittle fom all the conditioning.

We had a Lau Guar person on here by that name. You may want to search the member list and PM or email him about that style.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 2 weeks later...

Lau Gar or Muay Thai!! :o

Your spoilt for choice, both seem to produce the best stand up fighters i've ever seen (here in the UK anyway). I'd do both! Muay Thai full contact and sporty, Lau Gar (that i've seen) semi contact and sport or traditional depending where you train.

Do 'em both!

Bretty