• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fitness Testing

Evil Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks for your feedback, like I said I'm just looking around to see what different shops do in the way of fitness testing. It's been a discussion I've been having with a couple of colleagues of mine.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that fitness testing is not needed for the average MA practitioner as they do get tested for different belt levels and this in itself is a fitness test. As to specific fitness testing there are a number of different tests and the first question is what type of test is the right test? Are you a regular individual looking to monitor your progress? Are you a competitive athlete that needs to identify strengths and weaknesses to tweak your training routine?

As to specific fitness testing there are a number of different tests and the first question is what type of test is the right test? Are you a regular individual looking to monitor your progress? Are you a competitive athlete that needs to identify strengths and weaknesses to tweak your training routine?

I think the answer to which is the right test is whether it is conducive to what you do or not as a school. Like, if you have testings where there is a 10 or 20 man kumite, or something like that, then a running fitness test might be a proper one, because its based on endurance. However, I don't think it is wise to have a student run 7 miles, and then fight in a 10 man kumite. That's a recipe for disaster.

• 3 weeks later...

I think its a must. It was always a part at my old club, not so much now. I make it a point to test myself physically during my training with weights and running.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!