• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sit ups

Dianna

[quote name="Hawkmoon"

almost! :)

Mai Keage - is a stiff leg kick using the whole leg as if one solid piece. The knee does not bend.

Take a long stance (formal stance) In my ryu of Karate' date=' Kyokushinkai this stance is called Zen Kutsu Dachi,

(other systems may have a different name.)

It looks like this:

http://www.karatetest.com/kyokushinkai/10thkyu/zen-kutsu-dachi-25.htm

The kick, well this is a Yoko Keage: (easier to see the 'stiff leg movement')

http://www.karatetest.com/kyokushinkai/7thkyu/sokuto-yoko-keage-72.htm

The host site is:

https://www.karatetest.com 8)

Its a good site as it covers Kyokushin karate the art I study, I use it as a reminder of what this or that is.

The important point is the movement from the full formal stance to the high kick, so you were close but its the whole movement rather then to just kick that is important here. :karate:[/quote]

Thanks for the links. Awesome site!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Fitness testing, always an interesting discussion topic... Situps ~ straight leg situps are extremely hard and hard on the body, no arms well that's normal. In my experience some people will never be able to do a full situp in their life! That does an excuse for you to stop trying!

Keep practicing and keep the variation of ab / core {yes they are different} exercises mentioned here and from other sources {your dojo, Google, etc.}. It will all help improve your ab / core strength and functionality. Because of their job in our daily lives you can train your ab muscles daily, though I wouldn't go for twice a day. Keep it to a 15-20 minute ab / core routine once you've warmed up the body.

Nope, no giving up allowed :) Can't stop trying.

I never saw anyone disable another person with a sit-up (or a push-up for that matter).

But I have seen people dropped/winded with a single punch to the solar plexus.

One key reason to strengthen and tighten the abdominals.

Though i agree that for 99.99% of the time doing Karate is the best way to get better at Karate ;)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I never saw anyone disable another person with a sit-up (or a push-up for that matter).

But I have seen people dropped/winded with a single punch to the solar plexus.

One key reason to strengthen and tighten the abdominals.

Though i agree that for 99.99% of the time doing Karate is the best way to get better at Karate ;)

...sorry, one of my pet hates.... :x

it is ranked as low as;

"hitting wood prooves nothing!"

sit ups have a value...a real world value.

sit ups stop you as the target becoming a crumpled mess on the floor!

ref above video.

Situps there value, simply put they are priceless!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

You know, I've both sides of the story: Sit ups or not.

Nowadays, it appears that doing sit-ups isn't good for us for a variety of reasons. Then, some still say that sit-ups are good for us for a variety of reasons. These are coming from the experts in said fields.

Sheech! What's one to do? Does it come down to personal choice or not? Should one follow the orders of their doctor or someone else?

:idea:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Nowadays, it appears that doing sit-ups isn't good for us for a variety of reasons. Then, some still say that sit-ups are good for us for a variety of reasons. These are coming from the experts in said fields.

Sheech! What's one to do? Does it come down to personal choice or not? Should one follow the orders of their doctor or someone else?

...and so the dilemma!

Me, I'll go personal choice!

The Video I linked to shows various breaks (tameshiwari) being done with different body parts. (Open hand, foot etc)

The point being we hit wood, bricks etc with parts of our bodies that we hit our opponents with, we use the same power (in knockdown/full contact) to do this, now add in the simple fact we do this 'stuff' for fun!

We enjoy the combat, the challenge to fight!

I'd rather not be on the end of such a punch, or kick, but it happens and will happen and when it does I want to be able to stand there smile and return the favor!

(I do not mean we go out looking for it on the street, I mean we compete we train in this stuff with all the pain and pressure that comes with it and we look back and smile and keep going back for more!)

When I exercise, I try to keep the sets in groups of 30, then rest or do some other part of the body fora set of 30.

I am of the opinion to do more in one go or for extended periods of time regular is great for stamina but in time will risk greater injury if it is not already doing that!

We do need stamina, 100% yes, but we must rest that is a biological law, it cannot change will not change in our life time...evolution has taken a few years to get here, were not about to change that in a few weeks in a gym or dojo.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

...and so the dilemma!

Me, I'll go personal choice!

The Video I linked to shows various breaks (tameshiwari) being done with different body parts. (Open hand, foot etc)

The point being we hit wood, bricks etc with parts of our bodies that we hit our opponents with, we use the same power (in knockdown/full contact) to do this, now add in the simple fact we do this 'stuff' for fun!

We enjoy the combat, the challenge to fight!

I'd rather not be on the end of such a punch, or kick, but it happens and will happen and when it does I want to be able to stand there smile and return the favor!

(I do not mean we go out looking for it on the street, I mean we compete we train in this stuff with all the pain and pressure that comes with it and we look back and smile and keep going back for more!)

When I exercise, I try to keep the sets in groups of 30, then rest or do some other part of the body fora set of 30.

I am of the opinion to do more in one go or for extended periods of time regular is great for stamina but in time will risk greater injury if it is not already doing that!

We do need stamina, 100% yes, but we must rest that is a biological law, it cannot change will not change in our life time...evolution has taken a few years to get here, were not about to change that in a few weeks in a gym or dojo.

I hear what you're saying, and in that, I can't ignore a doctors advice either. I still do sit-ups in any way that's comfortable and effective; I'll be 56 years old this month, and my body keeps telling me to remember that I'm no longer that young elastic bounce right back up guy anymore, but I'm so stubborn.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!