• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unconventional, well, electronic training?

yamesu

I started a post quite some time ago on training apps, particularly the 100push ups app - this kind of follows on from that I guess, me being the sucker for technology I am.

Well, I got bored while shopping the other day and went into a game store and purchased a copy of the UFC Trainer game for xbox kinect.

I had very low hopes for it, but it was $20, so it was not going to be much of a loss.

Anyways, gave it a go yesterday and am actually quite impressed. If I put in 100% effort, it is quite a workout! And, is only limited by how much you actually want to do.

The actual game is very responsive, picking up speed of punches and kicks really well, and I found it very cool seeing myself as a green figure shadow boxing ;)

There is built in programs for 30 or 60 day strength gains or weight cutting. I tried the first day of the cutting, and it was great. Had me doing shadow boxing combos, and on the ground for core work.

Im not unfit (came in on the advanced end of the initial fitness test on the opening of the game), but it was still a good push and great to keep up with by the end!

The game takes (from height, weight, age and a very generalised heart rate) fitness levels and then tailors reps and time to suit the goals you input.

I cant say that I will keep on the program, particularly because I value dojo time and my own circuit and strength training more, but from first impressions I am a fan!

Anyone else had a go with this, and thoughts on the experience?

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Its something I thought about, as a means to keep the body ticking over as it were. :)

For me after a stint with the Wii and then the x-box I always felt its ability to track a punch or kick was poor ! :roll:

Somehow I always lost at boxing even when the 'target' (as it were) was just pushing there hands out into space where I was jabbing hooking and ducking like a mad man.... :kaioken:

If that game tracks me better then I might get a copy see what its like...cheap enough now so why not can't hurt! :)

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

That was my inital err with the whole thing.

The older games on both Wii and Xbox were quite poor with recognising body movement.

But I am quite impressed with this! Even in the free-bag mode it tracked every punch and kick I threw no matter how fast!

If you do end up giving it a go, I would be keen to hear what you think! :)

I started a post quite some time ago on training apps, particularly the 100push ups app - this kind of follows on from that I guess, me being the sucker for technology I am.

Well, I got bored while shopping the other day and went into a game store and purchased a copy of the UFC Trainer game for xbox kinect.

I had very low hopes for it, but it was $20, so it was not going to be much of a loss.

Anyways, gave it a go yesterday and am actually quite impressed. If I put in 100% effort, it is quite a workout! And, is only limited by how much you actually want to do.

The actual game is very responsive, picking up speed of punches and kicks really well, and I found it very cool seeing myself as a green figure shadow boxing ;)

There is built in programs for 30 or 60 day strength gains or weight cutting. I tried the first day of the cutting, and it was great. Had me doing shadow boxing combos, and on the ground for core work.

Im not unfit (came in on the advanced end of the initial fitness test on the opening of the game), but it was still a good push and great to keep up with by the end!

The game takes (from height, weight, age and a very generalised heart rate) fitness levels and then tailors reps and time to suit the goals you input.

I cant say that I will keep on the program, particularly because I value dojo time and my own circuit and strength training more, but from first impressions I am a fan!

Anyone else had a go with this, and thoughts on the experience?

Sweeeet! I was wondering how long it would be before they had a good MA simulator for xbox kinect. I may actually look into getting one if it's really that good...

:)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Looks like we might have a 'game review' thread before long!

I wonder if A certain sig might read afterwards:

"In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...just a kinect!"

;)

Sweeeet! I was wondering how long it would be before they had a good MA simulator for xbox kinect. I may actually look into getting one if it's really that good...

:)

Exactly what I thought, as have tried the others and they are really not that great.

The superheroes one is pretty fun, but only because I have always wanted to actually throw Hadouken....

Oh also - its really only training, there is not any sparring section as such, save shadow boxing and being able to kick the virtual "bag"....

Looks like we might have a 'game review' thread before long!

I wonder if A certain sig might read afterwards:

"In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...just a kinect!"

Haha :D Ready to take on the challenge CredoTe ;)

I'll get a copy...soon'ish.

honest!

...just not sure when kind'a busy...but I will honest!!

• 1 month later...

hehe

I'm not supposed to know but the UFC Disk for X-box arrived other day!

(I have to wait for my b'day to get it but that's not far away so ....soon my precious soon! LOL!)

Awesome!

I am keen to hear what you think of the program!

Only advice I can give is that during the inital fitness test, GO HARD! That will be your benchmark for the programs from there in. You can of course re-take the test, but its worth setting a good benchmark from the beginning I found.