• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructor kicked my son as punishment - now what?

Just report it to the police if not just go to the head instructor and other instructor and find out what happen while in my nephews case it was diff he was taking and his sensie made him stand up and they made him sparr everybody

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...what did the owner say he was going to do about it and do you feel like it was an unusual event for the school?

Was this Black belt another student/kid and probably over his head teaching before he should be? From the sound of it, your son wasn't hurt...so more of a case of bad judgement and training of a teacher. Happens a lot in TKD schools that ab/use their own students to train lesser ranks.

Leaves fall.

Teaching MA is one thing but having to teach disruptive kids who haven't been taught any discipline is very tough and sometimes very frustrating, as a teacher I sometimes get students where the parents have failed so want a Sensei to try and sort them out.

Goofing about and fighting without guidance is very dangerous for everyone and hugely disrespectful towards fellow students and especially the Sensei who has to keep everyone in check and safe.

You would not have gotten away with messing about in real Dojo's of the past or a typical Dojo in the 60's/70's. If people needed to be brought down to earth with humiliation or a knock then this would be a method to sort them out, warn them or get rid of them, they are training a Martial Art not at a kids party.

Saying that I would never strike a student with any force, ESPECIALLY a child!!!

There are a thousand methods to deal with this rubbish behaviour, all without getting physical, most without humiliation which is a form of bullying/abuse. The instructor failed by kicking them.

Normally working them harder sorts out the wannabe's from those that want to earn something.

IMHO, I have to agree with both points of view here.

Yes, martial arts in the west isn't as "hardcore" as it is in the east. But yes, this is a 9 year old child we are talking about. This story is not uncommon- I've heard of it being threatened before, but I've also heard it done before. The humiliation part... Well, IMO, that's not the main issue here. Yes, it's bad, but I would be humiliated if I was in trouble with the Sensei, it doesn't matter what I did/what the punishment was. But the fact that the Sensei abused his position and physically assaulted a child... That is the issue here, IMO.

As an instructor, I know that disruptive students can be hard to deal with, especially if they hit another child and make them cry. This being said, I do give you a thumbs up for recognising that your child was in the wrong. This being said, however, it is never okay for an instructor to assault a student, child or adult. There are plenty of punishments-physical and not, to deal with the situation. In my club we have a 'time out mat', on the edge where students can sit out, away from all the action (and fun). Where I train, pushups would be a common punishment, even for a child. This is a physical punishment which gets the point across that it's not acceptable, without harming the child.

IMHO, you were right to speak to a head instructor/owner. They should then speak to the Sensei, as (I know this sounds bizarre), but they might be unaware that what they did was very wrong. Perhaps the Sensei could meet with the head instructor/owner and come up with a discipline plan to be implemented across all classes-timeouts, pushups etc, which are non-confrontational, and most important, not assault.

It's not about the medals you win, it's about how much you improve.

I would confront the instructor, and there is also a good chance I would talk to a law enforcement officer about it. Where I live, we call that battery, and abuse of a child. Maybe this guy thinks he's an "old school" instructor from the "school of hard knocks," but that is just unacceptable behavior.

I respect the fact that you acknowledge that your son was in the wrong to begin with. But, a different form of punishment would have been appropriate, like witholding him from sparring for a time, or some other means. But not physical punishment like that. If one of my instructors did that, I would probably get rid of him.

I would confront the instructor, and there is also a good chance I would talk to a law enforcement officer about it. Where I live, we call that battery, and abuse of a child. Maybe this guy thinks he's an "old school" instructor from the "school of hard knocks," but that is just unacceptable behavior.

I respect the fact that you acknowledge that your son was in the wrong to begin with. But, a different form of punishment would have been appropriate, like witholding him from sparring for a time, or some other means. But not physical punishment like that. If one of my instructors did that, I would probably get rid of him.

Absolutely, bushido_man...

JASmama, unfortunate to hear this happened... :uhoh: Sounds like you're on the right track, though. Only 2 cents I would throw in is if you're going to confront the instructor, make sure someone else is with you to witness...

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

It's never ok for an instructor to hit a student like that.

Take your kids out of classes. If the instructor is a member of an association or organisation report him to them and fully detail what happen. Most reputable organisations will have a child / vulnerable persons protection officer.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

My son (9 years old, 3 years in TKD) was recently physically punished in class.

My son and other students (in full gear) were goofing off and messing around in class, sparring/kicking one another. My son kicked his friend in the stomach, making the other boy cry. I fully acknowledge that my son was wrong and that the instructor needed to address his actions - but...

The instructor (a black belt) called my son to the front of the class, told him to stand with his arms in the air and then kicked him in the stomach. My son dropped to the ground and was gasping for air after getting the wind kicked out of him. The instructor then yelled at my son and told him to stand up. I wasn't there - but this was the story I got from both my son and another adult. I am bothered not only by an adult, black belt physically assaulting my child, but by the humiliation he also inflicted.

Do I report this? I really think if this behavior happened to my child I am obligated to do something to protect other children from this 'master'. What do I do next?

My son was not only physically hurt, but he was also humiliated as well. He loved TKD and was quite good, but now refuses to go back, even to another instructor.

Wow, man. Not cool.

I am as much a real lawyer as Doogie Howser is a real doctor but I think you should consider pressing charges or even filing suit. Dojo or not, that is assault on a minor to my layman's eye.

I also sincerely doubt that your son is the first and last child this "master" has done this to and he should be stopped.

Save the next child he would do this to and report him.