• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate books and ankle injury!

tsuru24

Hi, this is my first post; I've just joined this forum as yesterday I badly sprained my ankle and have been told I can't walk on it for 4-6 weeks, and apart from using my arms, no karate for at least this time. So I've decided that in my recovery time I'm going to work on the mind/spirit aspect of training- more meditation and reading!

So I wanted to ask what are your recommended theory/inspirational books on karate, whether general training/martial arts or specifically about goju ryu karate jitsu? Also, any book recommendations about teaching would be good as I act as senpai at two classes a week (adult and children- aiming to keep this up, even if it means sitting on a chair!)

Any other tips about things I could do while resting up would be great. Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to KF!!

So very sorry to hear about your injury. Just remember, time heals all wounds, and please abide by your doctors instructions during this time and please don't rush it.

Having said that, I'd like to direct you to this link because it might help you find what you're looking for...

http://www.karateforums.com/martial-arts-research-library-vt8082.html

Hang in there! I look forward to your future posts here at KF!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Sorry about the injury but it is good to hear that your going to teach even if it means you sitting in a chair.

I did my knee Monday last week and I have been teaching with crutches (including to the point where my students asked me how to defend myself if someone attacked me when i had my crutches)

But for you not only work on mind/spirit and reading books. I think you should also try (it might sound weird but it works) thinking through your techniques, kata, bunkai, kihon etc. Like what they feel like and what they look like, what is the movement you do for it. Often professionals in various sporting fields or martial arts will do this when they are out injured so they can keep their mind focused on what they do, so for when they come back they won't have lapsed as much as they would have if they hadn't thought about it. As this will help your motor control as a whole.

Hope that helps

The "Library" thread is probably the best resource we have for books on martial arts that the members of our forum recommend. I will throw out there that, out of all the books I've read, Bill Hayes' book My Journey With The Grandmaster is probably the most energizing! It really gets you amped up to research and train! With a serious injury, you'll have to pour all that energy into the research :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thanks for the recommendations and welcomes, I'll look those ones up. Definitely helps to get recommends from people who've actually read the books.

Sorry about the injury but it is good to hear that your going to teach even if it means you sitting in a chair.

I did my knee Monday last week and I have been teaching with crutches (including to the point where my students asked me how to defend myself if someone attacked me when i had my crutches)

But for you not only work on mind/spirit and reading books. I think you should also try (it might sound weird but it works) thinking through your techniques, kata, bunkai, kihon etc. Like what they feel like and what they look like, what is the movement you do for it. Often professionals in various sporting fields or martial arts will do this when they are out injured so they can keep their mind focused on what they do, so for when they come back they won't have lapsed as much as they would have if they hadn't thought about it. As this will help your motor control as a whole.

Hope that helps

Ah yes it does, have done something similar with music practice in the past and it's strange but it does help! Sorry to hear about your knee, hope it's not too bad and recovers soon.