• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practice at home

Dianna

Ok, only going into my third class this morning. Wish I could take a few classes a day, never felt so good in my life after I walk out of class. How do I practice at home without spending tons of money on pads(my husband would have a cow)? I have been practicing basic blocks and stances, but then worried I practice wrong, since there is no instruction. Worried I will practice myself into doing it wrong.

Did a lot of kicks with feet, knees and elbows last night. I want to be able to practice that.

A bit overwhelmed, remembering it all and getting it down.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With time it will come.

Just keep going to class. Pck one or two things from the class and go home and drill that (for example, one finer points of a block).

You should be getting sound advice on technique in class, so just make sure that you are carrying it through into your at home practice as much as possible.

If you do get it wrong, you instructor will quickly see it and correct you.

Good luck, and remember that the more you stick at it the better all of your techniques wil become!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your training! Yamesu has given you some solid advice with regard to training at home--right now, you haven't trained enough to self-correct, so it's best to focus on just one or two specific things you worked on in class that day, or the day before if you remember it.

If you want to hit things at home, which I encourage, you should make sure you have received proper instruction on how to hit things at the dojo. You can practice the proper movements in the air, but until you start actually hitting things, you won't be very good at hitting things, if that makes sense? Once you are comfortable with impact training on bags or pads at the dojo, you should be able to do it at home.

You can sometimes find bags or pads for very cheap on craigslist, or you can make your own. If those aren't options for you, then you can always ask one of your senpai (senior students) at the dojo if you can borrow pads from them for a few days at a time. I have, at one time or another, loaned out gear to kohai (junior students), and borrowed gear from my sensei--it's usually something we martial artists are readily willing to do for each other, if we know the person borrowing the gear is dedicated and responsible.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your training! Yamesu has given you some solid advice with regard to training at home--right now, you haven't trained enough to self-correct, so it's best to focus on just one or two specific things you worked on in class that day, or the day before if you remember it.

If you want to hit things at home, which I encourage, you should make sure you have received proper instruction on how to hit things at the dojo. You can practice the proper movements in the air, but until you start actually hitting things, you won't be very good at hitting things, if that makes sense? Once you are comfortable with impact training on bags or pads at the dojo, you should be able to do it at home.

You can sometimes find bags or pads for very cheap on craigslist, or you can make your own. If those aren't options for you, then you can always ask one of your senpai (senior students) at the dojo if you can borrow pads from them for a few days at a time. I have, at one time or another, loaned out gear to kohai (junior students), and borrowed gear from my sensei--it's usually something we martial artists are readily willing to do for each other, if we know the person borrowing the gear is dedicated and responsible.

I talked some with Sensei this morning about practice at home. He said practice at home even if I do a move is wrong is better than no practice can he can correct what is wrong, but if I haven't learned anything he can't correct it. He said if I walk out of each class with at least 3 moves to keep in my head and work on that is good for now.

When it came to punching, kicking, he showed me the training bags and how to use them. My husband has one that he got for free at some point down the road and never used. Right now just simple kicks. Craigslist is a good idea for pads. My BIL who started class with me, we live in the house, would be great to use the pads with.

Also a good idea about borrowing stuff. Really seeing how the Dojo is a family. It is wonderful

With time it will come.

Just keep going to class. Pck one or two things from the class and go home and drill that (for example, one finer points of a block).

You should be getting sound advice on technique in class, so just make sure that you are carrying it through into your at home practice as much as possible.

If you do get it wrong, you instructor will quickly see it and correct you.

Good luck, and remember that the more you stick at it the better all of your techniques wil become!

And from:

GREAT POSTS! :) Not much to add here...

And from:

I talked some with Sensei this morning about practice at home. He said practice at home even if I do a move is wrong is better than no practice can he can correct what is wrong, but if I haven't learned anything he can't correct it. He said if I walk out of each class with at least 3 moves to keep in my head and work on that is good for now.

When it came to punching, kicking, he showed me the training bags and how to use them. My husband has one that he got for free at some point down the road and never used. Right now just simple kicks. Craigslist is a good idea for pads. My BIL who started class with me, we live in the house, would be great to use the pads with.

Also a good idea about borrowing stuff. Really seeing how the Dojo is a family. It is wonderful

Sounds like you're getting some pretty good advice / instruction, so far, and that your MA journey is off to a good start. And, yes, any dojo that's halfway decent is very much a family... :)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

And from:

Sounds like you're getting some pretty good advice / instruction, so far, and that your MA journey is off to a good start. And, yes, any dojo that's halfway decent is very much a family... :)

I am so lucky to have an awesome dojo, Sensei and many great Sempai. I had no clue going in how great of a Sensei I had till I did some research and it is not just what he has accomplished but his personality, his instruction and so amaze me, from the Little Dragons class(my 5 year olds are in) to all the adult classes. Great school.

Welcome to being a Karate nut!

Enjoy it!

Practice will make perfect, then practice some more. :D

I was warned today it was addicting, every part of it, and it is and no problem with that, very happy about that. Something to be passionate about is always good.

Yes, practice does make perfect for sure.

it will take time to figure out how to practice what you have learnt and whether something feels right or not.

so take your time in practicing what you have learnt already. Remember what it felt like in class and what your sensei has told you how your going. use a large mirror if you want to see if something doesn't look right

it will take time to figure out how to practice what you have learnt and whether something feels right or not.

so take your time in practicing what you have learnt already. Remember what it felt like in class and what your sensei has told you how your going. use a large mirror if you want to see if something doesn't look right

Great idea about the mirror. We have a large one but not in a room big enough for me to move.

Funny how the blocks and punches just run through my head non-stop,which is a good thing...totally taking over lol