• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hello from Singapore!

tselec

hello! :)

I have been practising kyokushin karate for the past two years and I love it! I recently earned my 4th kyu in kyokushin, and also hold a shodan in sport ju-jitsu and a white belt in judo; I have been practising MA for the past 8.5 years, since my university days.

I joined this forum, hoping to read on how I could better condition my limbs and perhaps ask a few questions along the way. you see, last night was my first night as a kyokushin senior belt and so my kyokushin guys - I'm the only woman in the class - went a bit harder in conditioning and kumite; I woke up this morning with massive bruises on both forearms and quads. yes, my quad muscles have palm-sized bruises. also, it doesn't help that I have fragile veins -- this was told to me by a nurse while she was drawing my blood for a routine blood test.

would really appreciate it if anyone has any tips or advice for me!

thanks for reading! osu!

cheers,

celest :) :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you are getting some good, hard training! The more you work your impact conditioning, the less you will bruise over time, but severe bruising is pretty normal at first. If you search for "kote kitae," "ude tanren," or "tai tanren" you will get some good information on impact conditioning. Some people also find that liniments like Dit Da Jow or Namman Muay can help speed up the healing process of bruises.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to pop into the General or Karate subforums and ask away!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

thanks everyone for your warm welcome! I hope to learn from KF, as well as contribute, even though I'm not very good at MA and I still have much to learn. :)

It sounds like you are getting some good, hard training! The more you work your impact conditioning, the less you will bruise over time, but severe bruising is pretty normal at first. If you search for "kote kitae," "ude tanren," or "tai tanren" you will get some good information on impact conditioning. Some people also find that liniments like Dit Da Jow or Namman Muay can help speed up the healing process of bruises.

that's how I got the massive bruising -- from kote kitae, ude tanren and tai tanren. thank you for introducing the terms, since in my dojo, we just use the umbrella term "conditioning". it's been a while since I used liniments since my very sensitive skin does not like them sometimes; I usually ice huge bruises for up to 72 hours and then I'll massage the bruises gently till they go away. I don't really do anything about small bruises, since they heal rather quickly on their own.

you're right: the bruising will go away eventually. I recall getting massive bruising as well when I first started grappling, but I got far fewer bruises along the way. I'm giving myself three to six months to be relatively conditioned, since it is quite unsightly for a woman to be regularly sporting such huge bruises on both forearms and quads. :P

Welcome to the forum tselec :)

Take care of yourself. Hopefully your sensei is letting you bring the intensity up slowly rather than going straight in at the heavy end, especially if you have a pre-existing condition.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius