• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bruise - Contusion

Hawkmoon

We get them when we train.

We say, rest, ice, compress & elevate, we even say light work maybe if the bruise isn't that bad, not to stress the area just keep it working.

Then there is 'Arnica' gel or cream, Tiger Balm even 'Deep heat' to treat them.

What do you do when you have a few, anything?

Arnica gel or cream, to me anyway seemed to do little to speed the body repair up, Tiger Balm does seem to help...a little.

I'm not so sure they do help as much as advertised if at all. I can't help but thing the massaging of the area is actually doing the work, not the ointment!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Arnica gel is something that has been recommended to me, along with Witch Hazel and various Dit Da Jow formulas, but I have never tried them. I hate Tiger Balm--it burns, stinks, and doesn't help me at all! What I currently use is a liniment called Fighter Fix that comes from Thailand, and I find that it works well for clearing up most bruising and speeding the healing process of lumps. The massaging is definitely beneficial, since it breaks up the pooling of blood that is the bruise, but I feel that massaging alone has not been as beneficial to me as massaging with liniment.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I use Tiger Balm for nearly everything. But only the red one made by Haw Par.. have tried other similar balms but didn't do much for me. The camphor and clove oil in it are mild analgesics.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I use Tiger Balm for nearly everything. But only the red one made by Haw Par.. have tried other similar balms but didn't do much for me. The camphor and clove oil in it are mild analgesics.

Same with me!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've tried Arnica gel and it didn't do anything. I actually did experiments where I would draw a line with a pen down the middle of the bruise and put it on half of it three times a day for 3 days and did not see any appreciable difference. What I do love though is Voltaren cream. It is a topical NSAID so it takes away some of the pain, although I don't think it does anything for appearance or make it fade any faster.

..... Fighter Fix that comes from Thailand, ....works well... the healing process of lumps. The massaging is definitely beneficial, since it breaks up the pooling of blood that is the bruise, but I feel that massaging alone has not been as beneficial to me as massaging with liniment.

Fighter fix ...sounds like its worth a look at. 8)

Arnica cream/gel, really was of no help to me, others I have spoken with love it! Not all just enough to make it worth a trial.

Tiger Balm seemed to work, its use along with massaging action of its application can be 'tested' now I think about it by simply using 'an other' ointment see if one bruise heels faster or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Might just do that, thanks for the suggestion...

...... that is when I get back into the dojo, need to 'deal with an ankle injury just now!

Grrr!

At least a week out to let it heal enough to use (I'm hoping just a week and no longer)

Ice for 10mins of every hour for as many hours as you can be bothered or see necessary.

Ice will numb the pain and also shock the body into sending more blood to the area to heal. You could also try a little ice massage to work the area a bit more.

Tiger balm and deep heat etc tend to just irritate the skin (even if you don't realise that is what is happening) and draw the blood away from the muscle and to the skin making you feel all warm and lovely in the short term but giving no long term healing benefits.

When icing be careful and avoid the head and heart (and genitals) and no longer than about 10 mins at a time or adverse effects are likely.

I am a physio and shotokan instructor by the way!

...Tiger balm and deep heat etc tend to just irritate the skin (even if you don't realise that is what is happening) and draw the blood away from the muscle and to the skin making you feel all warm and lovely in the short term but giving no long term healing benefits....

ah! so would the 'apparent' better results be more due to the massaging of the area rather than the ointment used then?