• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jeet Kune Do?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Every art has it's advantages or disadvantages. There's not a bad art, but some are more effective than others.

True. Where would you rank it for effectiveness? And where would you rank the "real" hapkido?

Here's my stereotype from the handful of people over the years that I've had the pleasure of training with who claim to study JKD. Keep in mind that this is a totally anecdotal set of observations and in no way is true of high level lineage holders from the JKD world.

1. Most don't have a teacher, but study only from books and videos.

2. They might be fast, but compared to traditional MA don't have clean technique.

3. They don't hit hard, unless they already do another style like boxing or karate.

4. Their kicking isn't very well-developed.

5. On the positive side they can be really nice and creative individuals willing to try new things.

Just my opinion based on limited experience with a few JKD guys over the years.

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

My experience with JKD is limited, but as far as I am aware, JKD is not a style. JKD is Bruce Lee's philosophy on martial arts training, with regard to how it should be approached, but it was never a system of techniques and concepts meant to be passed on and preserved. I believe he even specifically requested that people not teach anything he taught them under the name "Jeet Kune Do" for that reason.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I've gotten the opportunity to train with JKD versed individuals both during time in grad school and more recently in a couple of semi-privates. I've been very impressed with both experiences.

As as very non-traditional art, JKD practitioners tend to stress certain aspects of the fight that most suits them, or the particular branch that they come out of stresses. This leads to a wide variance in practitioners and how they work a problem.

As with all things, there are strengths and weakness to any set of movements, for JKD practitioners, this will always depend on their flavor of the art. And in most cases, the people in the art are very open minded and will seek out ways to minimize those weaknesses by studying arts that fill those voids.

The big, over-arching theme of all of them that I've seen however, goes to methodology. They are all looking to improve training patterns and methods and rely less on "how it's been" to more on how can we make it better, or more live.

That focus, above any tactics, is what makes the art formidable. I've squared away a week long training camp in the art this month to expand on what I've been exposed to. I'll let you know more when I become more well versed.

As with any MA, including JKD, the art is only as effective as that one practitioner performing it. Some practitioners are excellent vehicles of the art in which they represent, while others aren't.

We've only one chance to make that lasting impression of any said art, and JKD isn't an exception.

From what I've studied and from what I've learned about JKD from some very well versed practitioners of JKD is this. Bruce's methodology as well as his ideology isn't birthed from his syllabus, but from the individual practitioner. Bruce created a vehicle for its practitioners to explore the many possibilities for THAT practitioner, and that practitioner alone.

"Absorb what is useful, discard the rest!" This directs the JKD practitioner to discover things that work for them, and the things of JKD that don't work for that practitioner, well, they're not forced to assimilate each and every crossed 't' or every dotted 'i'.

Does that lessen JKD? No!

Again, any MA is only as effective as the [next] practitioner.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

How you define an art as "good" depends on what you're looking for out of it. Everyone has an opinion of what is good and what isn't. You have to look into what you want out of it, and decide if that art is going to give it to you.

Also, personal preference plays a huge part in what you find to be good or not. I've never been a grappler, but I'm finding some very good things in the small bit of BJJ that I've been exposed to. I have a son that is a Wrestler, so it is more his thing. I like to kick, so TKD is great for me, buy that doesn't mean I assume its the best option, or has all the answers. Expand, learn, train.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been training Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do for a little more than 15 years. I have trained with 2 nd and 3 rd generation JKD teachers. I have also trained with FMA kenpo, and Koga Ryu teachers.

I Always come back to JKD and teach my children JKD because while i respect other arts, i feel that jkd is the Science of Steet fighting.

By the way, a person who claims JKD, yet doesnt train with a full instructor with a legitimate lineage back to Bruce Lee, Dan Inosanto, Taky Kimura, or Ted Wong...is phony.

No limits as my limit.