• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favourite Kata

Nidan Melbourne

I love Bassai Dai and Naihanchi.

The next one I'm learning will be Kanku Dai. I'm looking forward to that!

You'll really enjoy Kanku Dai; I always have!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm learning Chinto at the moment and think it's fair to say it is becoming a favourite. It was a bit of a nightmare to learn the moves at first, but the more I do it the more I like it. Like most Wado Kata it's quite short, but very technical and when watching the black belts do it, it's a beautiful kata. Of the Pinan Kata, Godan is probably my favourite.

M.

Be water, my friend.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm learning Chinto at the moment and think it's fair to say it is becoming a favourite. It was a bit of a nightmare to learn the moves at first, but the more I do it the more I like it. Like most Wado Kata it's quite short, but very technical and when watching the black belts do it, it's a beautiful kata. Of the Pinan Kata, Godan is probably my favourite.

M.

oh man i can agree with you on that point. Not with Chinto but with some of my kata at least for my style.

There are a few movements in Seipai (Goju-Ryu Version) & Kururunfa (also goju-ryu) that were a nightmare to learn. But after a while they became my favorites!

I know there are a lot of variations of Naihanchi out there. Which version do you do? Any chance of a video?

I know there are a lot of variations of Naihanchi out there. Which version do you do? Any chance of a video?

I actually do what my instructor calls "Naifanchi". I thought at first that he was just pronouncing it wrong, but it turns out that it is a variation of the kata.

I'm working on putting all of my katas on video soon, so when that's complete, I'll post it.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

In my shotokan syllabus I like Kanku Dai, Nijushiho and Meikyo...however I have been trying to learn a few Goju Kata and by far Seyunchin (sp?) is my favorite so far. Kata is just something I take a lot of interest in. Some I dislike and but they are still important.

Even monkeys fall from trees

In my shotokan syllabus I like Kanku Dai, Nijushiho and Meikyo...however I have been trying to learn a few Goju Kata and by far Seyunchin (sp?) is my favorite so far. Kata is just something I take a lot of interest in. Some I dislike and but they are still important.

Seeiunchin is a good goju kata. Check out Kururunfa thats a fun one to learn and do.

• 1 month later...

OSU!

I am currently on a 3 year kata quest. This means that I have chosen 2 kata, Shisochin and Seisan from GoJu Ryu, that I practice in depth and explore the bunkai behind them. I do them almost every day several times, and I have started this experiment about 1.5 years ago. The more I do Shisochin and Seisan, the more they become "mine". I made this choice since these two kata "speak" to me - they suit my body type, they have the best flow for me, and their bunkai convinces me. All other kata that I know I also do on a regular basis, but my emphasis is on the mentioned two. I begin to understand why it is said that one can master 2, maybe 3 kata over time, and not more. Sure, I know many more, but "knowing" does not equal "mastering".

OSU!

Just Karate

• 2 weeks later...