• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello from RI

Dianna

Yes, that is the Sensei. He is awesome.He is so great with the kids and I have watch a few adult classes. Everyone there is really knowledgeable and helpful. I can't wait to start. He has been going to training camp so haven't been able to tell him I am starting. My BIL who has Down Syndrome is going to start too and I am so happy about that, it will be great for him. We will be in the same classes. My brother, who also has Down Syndrome is a black belt and I know it has done great things for him.

Sensei Ahrens has a good reputation--I hope you enjoy your training with him! If you have any questions about the style, our kata, our techniques, etc., feel free to send me a PM and I will help out however I can.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that is the Sensei. He is awesome.He is so great with the kids and I have watch a few adult classes. Everyone there is really knowledgeable and helpful. I can't wait to start. He has been going to training camp so haven't been able to tell him I am starting. My BIL who has Down Syndrome is going to start too and I am so happy about that, it will be great for him. We will be in the same classes. My brother, who also has Down Syndrome is a black belt and I know it has done great things for him.

Sensei Ahrens has a good reputation--I hope you enjoy your training with him! If you have any questions about the style, our kata, our techniques, etc., feel free to send me a PM and I will help out however I can.

Thank you. I am trying to figure out what I can do now to start preparing. Getting the counting down, but I want to figure out more,I don't like walking into something totally blind.

Welcome to KF! I hope your family has a great Karate journey together... :)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Thank you. I am trying to figure out what I can do now to start preparing. Getting the counting down, but I want to figure out more,I don't like walking into something totally blind.

Don't worry too much about trying to prepare for training--the training prepares you by its very nature. Learning to count in Japanese is fine, as is learning some basic dojo etiquette, but trying to memorize terminology or movements will actually only cause you problems. Once you get on the mat, you just need to worry about what you are being taught right then, and everything else will come with time :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 3 weeks later...

Belated welcome! Nice to see another woman training karate...and not so far from me! :)

I note that there will be a Feeding Crane seminar in November at your dojo. If you can swing it, I'd highly suggest attending. Sifu Liu Chang is the most powerful person I've crossed hands with, and many karate lines find value in the CMA concepts of gong li, fajing, etc.

Leaves fall.