• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushinkai Karate a test of one - 100 man Kumite.

Hawkmoon

Leg Kicks and Punches to the Heart? Interesting indeed; do these guys suffer a lot of injuries and heart problems? I don't know - just asking.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know, but what I do know is the one rule: Deflect/Block!! If that's not easy to do, then don't be there when the attack arrives. If that's not easy to do, don't be there at all; be somewhere else far away!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Leg Kicks and Punches to the Heart? Interesting indeed; do these guys suffer a lot of injuries and heart problems? I don't know - just asking.

Good question, i wish someone can answer it !

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

..legs kicks...

...and issues?

from my own experience (it is all I have) I'd have to say, No!

I'd point out that a Kyokushin fighter has been kicked and is kicking legs from (in many cases) day one of there MA career! A Kyokushin fighter has as a result of this 'blocked/deflected' even 'rolled' with the attack so often its second nature to them! Legs do get tough, and the pain is dulled as a result, kick boxers do the same with there shins!

Its a normal result to the training, nothing new or magical about a Kyokushin fighter here!

Maybe this next bit stems form 'general' not individual misconceptions of what Kyokushin karate is....

...Punches to the heart...

...... sorry what?

Not picking a fight, pointing at anyone, certainly not trying to insult, simply exploring the 'concept'.... I'm asking to step back and consider the 'idea'.

Punch someone in the chest and to an untrained eye, it was a heart punch!

No matter who the viewer is, (I'm of the opinion we need to keep this in mind that however small (or large) the influence of the following is) MA is to many still a mystical far eastern dark art of fighting!

So to the 3rd party who maybe considers MA as legal violence a punch the chest and its a punch that is trying to trigger a heart attack!

Not so, else there would be a few deaths and a public outcry to ban the practice of MA!

We all practice/perform a contact sport, yet I suspect (if we look) that there are more deaths in boxing or even motor sport than MA records. MA competitions, tournaments training camps, dojo sessions happen far more often, everyday, every weekend with much more regularity than these sports that do record such incidents!

Full power or not without exception every school teaches chudan punches, punches to the chest...so everyone is subject/guilty?

No, I don't think so.

....does this makes sense?

:-?

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

..legs kicks...

...and issues?

from my own experience (it is all I have) I'd have to say, No!

I'd point out that a Kyokushin fighter has been kicked and is kicking legs from (in many cases) day one of there MA career! A Kyokushin fighter has as a result of this 'blocked/deflected' even 'rolled' with the attack so often its second nature to them! Legs do get tough, and the pain is dulled as a result, kick boxers do the same with there shins!

Its a normal result to the training, nothing new or magical about a Kyokushin fighter here!

Maybe this next bit stems form 'general' not individual misconceptions of what Kyokushin karate is....

...Punches to the heart...

...... sorry what?

Not picking a fight, pointing at anyone, certainly not trying to insult, simply exploring the 'concept'.... I'm asking to step back and consider the 'idea'.

Punch someone in the chest and to an untrained eye, it was a heart punch!

No matter who the viewer is, (I'm of the opinion we need to keep this in mind that however small (or large) the influence of the following is) MA is to many still a mystical far eastern dark art of fighting!

So to the 3rd party who maybe considers MA as legal violence a punch the chest and its a punch that is trying to trigger a heart attack!

Not so, else there would be a few deaths and a public outcry to ban the practice of MA!

We all practice/perform a contact sport, yet I suspect (if we look) that there are more deaths in boxing or even motor sport than MA records. MA competitions, tournaments training camps, dojo sessions happen far more often, everyday, every weekend with much more regularity than these sports that do record such incidents!

Full power or not without exception every school teaches chudan punches, punches to the chest...so everyone is subject/guilty?

No, I don't think so.

....does this makes sense?

:-?

Solid post

I'm not going to bleat about crippling injuries that can happen with shin and leg kicks, they are some of the most effective techniques for self defense are they not?

I'll tell you a fact, plain and simple; My first Karate Sensei was a Karateka that fought full contact, with no hand or chest protection. Before old age and leg injuries took hold, he suffered poor heart function. This was a symptom of a left lead stance that he had taken in years of full contact kumite. He had taken hundreds of punches to the heart. And even though he lived on fish and vegetables and never smoked or drank alcohol; he died of heart failure before he was 70. Bob's comment on taking punishment without evading or blocking is a profound one. It is well known that Kayokoshin are some of the toughest fighters in the karate world; but in this day and age, and granted you have free will, is it not a choice I would make to prove my martial arts skill. As the Master said; "Best block - Not be there."

My first Karate Sensei was a Karateka that fought full contact, with no hand or chest protection. Before old age and leg injuries took hold, he suffered poor heart function. This was a symptom of a left lead stance that he had taken in years of full contact kumite. He had taken hundreds of punches to the heart. And even though he lived on fish and vegetables and never smoked or drank alcohol; he died of heart failure before he was 70.

Sorry Hrkon72, but I have to disagree with you at this point ... eating healthy food and being non-smoker maintain heart health I agree but heart problems might happen to any one despite of healthy lifestyle ... sometime it's hereditary or due to high blood pressure for long time for example.

you can't be sure that your master's condition is due to punches to the heart ?!!!

The only way to know is if you experience one. Ask a Wing Chun practitioner to punch you in the heart, or a Thai Boxer to kick you in the thigh. On second thoughts; don't, I don't want either on my conscience. Being Tough is cool, but there are always tougher and ultimately, you only have one body.

Legs - issues:

No, maybe no more or less than say a Rugby player.

Way WAY less than the none contact sport we call Football (Soccer)! :wink:

Heart conditions :

No, there are hundreds of thousands no millions of Full contact/Knockdown fighters in the world living perfectly normal lives!

many are very happy and well past retirement!

To anyone and all, if you find yourself in a tournament with idiots that think punching the heart is fun, walk away call the authorities anything, this is not "Bloodsport", that's Hollywood people !

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Sounds like a few questions / thoughts that could be relevant to this thread:

http://www.karateforums.com/karate-cuts-10-15-years-of-your-lifespan-vt45099.html

:wink:

"Nothing is more harmful to the world than a martial art that is not effective in actual self-defense" - Motobu Choki

"Karate has no philosophy. Some people think that the tradition of Karate came from Buddhism and Karate has a connection to the absolute, space and universe, but I don't believe that. My philosophy is to knock my opponent out, due to the use of only one technique. One finishing blow!" - Mikio Yahara