• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushinkai Karate a test of one - 100 man Kumite.

Hawkmoon

A test created by Sosai Oyama to allow students to 'test' them selves. A test inspired by a samurai warrior who fought other samurai warriors to test his skill using the wooden sword.

Soasi is reported to have conceived a 300 man test originally before finalizing a 100 man grading criteria to 5th Dan and so the rank of Shihan.

Now it's a test anyone can ask to take at shodan and above;

A test many consider, some try and only a few complete!

Kyokushin is famous for the fact that we fight 'full contact' karate (knockdown) with bare knuckle (no gloves/pads), this test is also performed 'bare knuckle'.

Do you in your system have tests unique to you you can share or talk about?

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shindokan has ways of testing ones mettle, but, to be honest, I've not seen a test that can match or even come close to the 100 man kumite. I'd welcome a 100 man kumite...TODAY!!

I love CONTACT more than I should but...WHAT A RUSH!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Shindokan has ways of testing ones mettle, :)

Cool care to share?

I'm aware of the samurai warrior, I even have a foggy memory about some kind of Judo test a little like the 100 man, I think?

But others sorry I've no idea and really want to!

:D

Again, Shindokan has nothing as demanding as the 100 man kumite!!

We do Tamashiwara "tests" that are quite draining. This consists of continuous breaking until one can't break anymore. Usually this will last for several hours. This is done each year to honor our Dai-Soke on the anniversary of the Tamashiwara mettle test he endured one day under our Soke while they were still living in Okinawa. I write about this in great detail in the memoirs that I'm still penning. No rests, except for the following set-up AND no spacers whatsoever, as was the requirement for our Dai-Soke.

We do Kumite "tests", but they're not against 100 fresh karateka's. They're against those in attendance during special BB classes on kumite; one might face 20-25 students twice at a time. No rests...no protective equipment except for a mouthpiece.

We do "Rounds Out" of Tuite. This is when one student will face the entire class. One by one the student is 'attacked', however, the student must ONLY use Tuite to defend themselves and the 'attackers' can attack anywhere and with any technique. The student that can't defend themselves is eventually determined to be OUT; hence, Rounds Out. Some complete, and most don't because one student can last the entire session, but not many do. No rests...no protective equipment except for a mouthpiece. The scary thing for those new to this test is that to perform Tuite, one's required to be up close and personal at each and every 'attack'. Not always an easy thing to defend against. It's one of my favorite because I'm freaky that way.

That's a small sample of some of the "tests".

• 5 months later...

Nice Video Hawkmoon :lol:

Not sure if one day I will be able to try it or not ... I think you have to go through a very very long journey with Kyokushin to reach there !!

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Don't forget that Oyama would've done a 4th day, alas a 400 man kumite, 100 per day, but nobody wanted to assist him.

I guess Oyama wore them out!!

Don't forget that Oyama would've done a 4th day, alas a 400 man kumite, 100 per day, but nobody wanted to assist him.

Thats the story!

To add (Hanshi) Steve Arneil was one of the fighters involved in that exercise!

Back then there were only a few Kyokushin dojos & students that Sosai could pick form as it were. So teh ones that were selected all had to fight a few times for each round of 100 men, come the 3rd round of 100 many had already dropped out due to injury so the selection that were left had more fights to have.

Regardless of the validity and facts real or not know 100 fights in a day is an outstanding achievement!

Hanshi Arneil took on the 100 fight test and is the first person ever, after Sosai, to have done so and completed it in a day.

Regardless of what may have been said or suggested by some sites about his condition and desire to go on etc etc

Words taken directly from the man himself, the next day was spent in hospital recovering!

A good site and page to read: http://www.masutatsuoyama.com/en/home/100mankumite.htm

The most amazing thing is 'back in them days' punches to the face (full on face contact!) was allowed as was grappling and following through!

Thats the story!

To add (Hanshi) Steve Arneil was one of the fighters involved in that exercise!

Back then there were only a few Kyokushin dojos & students that Sosai could pick form as it were. So teh ones that were selected all had to fight a few times for each round of 100 men, come the 3rd round of 100 many had already dropped out due to injury so the selection that were left had more fights to have.

Regardless of the validity and facts real or not know 100 fights in a day is an outstanding achievement!

Hanshi Arneil took on the 100 fight test and is the first person ever, after Sosai, to have done so and completed it in a day.

Regardless of what may have been said or suggested by some sites about his condition and desire to go on etc etc

Words taken directly from the man himself, the next day was spent in hospital recovering!

A good site and page to read: http://www.masutatsuoyama.com/en/home/100mankumite.htm

The most amazing thing is 'back in them days' punches to the face (full on face contact!) was allowed as was grappling and following through!

Solid post!!

Kyokushin has respectfully earned that label..."Knockdown" Karate. I've nothing but respect for Kyokushin across the board; it's proven itself to the world. I'd STILL love to do the 100 man kumite for personal reasons, but I suppose that I'm in the wrong style to do so and that I'm too old for it!! But what a rush!!

Ooohhh...maybe I can do it at the Shindokan Hombu; I've plenty of BB's of varying ranks, and a good sprinkle of high Dans as well, to select from. Beside, Greg would love to have another reason to make my life very uncomfortable. Doing it under Kyokushin rules! But, would that be self-serving and not of value to do so as I'm suggesting? I don't think I could use the name..."100 Man Kumite", nor would I want to because that title belongs to Kyokushin?!

Imho!!

hehehe!

(can't hurt so to speak)

Why not find a Kyokushin dojo, work with them get the rules of play and the nature of ' knockdown fight' in your blood, level the playing field a bit!

No matter what you call it when you think you are ready to have a try, well set it up!!

Ask 100 fighters to come along, with clear understanding of what they are to do and what thy are not to do do.

Setup the mat or ring,

Have medics on hand.

Place educated and impartial persons on a panel.

Video stands clocks blah..blah!

Be assured for as much as I love the idea, the dream it inspires, this is not me, to old, to past it no desire for that glory!

I love the spectacle I love the dream, I love what it means and what it represents, total admiration of anyone that takes it on, complete respect to anyone that passes!

hehehe!

(can't hurt so to speak)

Why not find a Kyokushin dojo, work with them get the rules of play and the nature of ' knockdown fight' in your blood, level the playing field a bit!

No matter what you call it when you think you are ready to have a try, well set it up!!

Ask 100 fighters to come along, with clear understanding of what they are to do and what thy are not to do do.

Setup the mat or ring,

Have medics on hand.

Place educated and impartial persons on a panel.

Video stands clocks blah..blah!

Be assured for as much as I love the idea, the dream it inspires, this is not me, to old, to past it no desire for that glory!

I love the spectacle I love the dream, I love what it means and what it represents, total admiration of anyone that takes it on, complete respect to anyone that passes!

Thank you for not laughing at me, and thank you for the post...SOLID!!

I got a kick out of the "Have medics on hand.". Mainly because I'm much older now, and I'll need a medic sometime during the frail, hopefully not, but the possibilities would be grave. Plus, Greg will need a medic, if you get my meaning. :P

To do it, just to say I did it, isn't a valid reason. No. To test my mettle, for me, that's enough a valid reason to entertain the thought. Imho!!

I jester, but in all seriousness, those who've done the 100 Man Kumite; I bow to them!! Those who haven't, I still bow to them because, imho, it wouldn't and doesn't define the MA nor the MAist!!