• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should I bulk up or not?

I have been debating this for a past couple of days now, should I bulk up or not? Almost everyone in my martial arts class is pretty bulky and I feel like I don't stand a chance when it comes to kumite or even fighting (real life situation) for that matter. I mean on the one hand I do understand with proper technique, timing, etc I might be able to subdue, nutralize etc an a person, but on the other I am not sure if I am bulky enough. I am 21 years old, 5'4 and currently about 120-125ibs.

Here are some body shots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dudedidyoueatmyburrito/9140741688/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dudedidyoueatmyburrito/9138515065/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dudedidyoueatmyburrito/9140742774/in/photostream/

“When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That's the message he is sending.” - Thich Nhat Hanh

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You might check out the thread "karate workout plan". I'm in the same situation as you are. And I'm bulking up with my new stronglift 5x5 program. I lift weights before karate class, and this works really well.

Member of skif belgium Honbu Dojo

Should you bulk up or not? Well, I sincerely believe that that's a personal decision, and not the decision of anybody else, including ones sensei/instructor/friends/relatives/associates...anybody, just the individual.

Everything has its pros and cons, but it's the desired results that bring those parameters into focus.

They, whomever they are, say, trust your gut!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

sensei8 says - " Should you bulk up or not? Well, I sincerely believe that that's a personal decision, and not the decision of anybody else, including ones sensei/instructor/friends/relatives/associates...anybody, just the individual.

Everything has its pros and cons, but it's the desired results that bring those parameters into focus. "

WELL SAID - However, Bulking Up is not for me.

Well, I can't see Flickr images while I'm at work, so I don't know what you look like. If you are in the dangerous range of body fat percentage, then I would say you need to gain some weight. Other than that, it's entirely up to you--don't worry too much about "bulk," though. It sounds like you want strength so, if I were you, I would focus on measurable results (how much weight lifted, how many times) and ignore how much I weigh or how bulky I look.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thank you all.

“When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That's the message he is sending.” - Thich Nhat Hanh

What do you want to be? You are similar to myself in build and I have gained the fitness and strength to out train a lot of peers.

Take a look at Kanazawa Sensei in his earlier days:

http://www.fightingmaster.com/legends/kanazawa/kanazawa.jpg

Not bulky but every bit fit.

I have known a few scrawny guys who could out wrestle anyone using correct leverage and skills, you don't have to have arms/chest like Hulk Hogan to be able to defend yourself. You may also find that you are faster as you are, just train hard and train harder!

Technique and good training will go a long ways. But, if you want to be strong, too, then there is nothing wrong with that. And you don't have to "bulk up" if you don't want to. You have some options.

Mark Rippetoe has a program called Starting Strength, and in it, he includes what is known in the weight training world as GOMAD; the Gallon Of Milk A Day diet. I don't recall how long he runs it for, but if you want to get stronger and add some weight, then that would work for you.

That said, you don't have to bulk up to get stronger. Good weight programs like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, and Wendler 5/3/1, are all focused on gaining strength, and will put size on you regardless. Its up to you if you want to do the milk and really gain some weight.

Looking into Rippetoe's method will give you an idea as to whether it is for you or not. Read his stuff, then make a decision on it.

Just pointing out that someone in the news became very ill drinking too much milk.....

I always find i eat loads more when i train hard and exercise more.

Sure, it can happen. Happens to lots of people who drink alcohol, but that doesn't usually deter them from drinking more alcohol.

Of course, some people don't tolerate milk as well as others. If you know this, then don't drink so much milk. There are other options.