• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have always wanted to study kung fu really bad but there is no kung fu schools anywhere in my area i study karate and jujitsu and am about to study MMA but i still want to study kung fu the only conclusion i have came to is to study when i go off to college does anybody have any other solutions how i could study it now or get prepared for when i can study it when i go to college? any advice would be appreciated

"walk on"-Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think your best bet would be to continue to study the arts you have available to you, building a solid foundation. When you move off to college, then check into Kung Fu instruction. You could look into videos to do some learning, but you'd do better to have a partner, and even better to have an instructor.

I agree with B-M96. Keep practicing what you can with a qualified instructor. Much of karate (especially Okinawan karate) is just modified kung fu anyway. If you want to look into kung fu in depth look at video of the kata of southern kung fu systems and you will see obvious links to the Sanchin, Tekki-Naihanchi, and Hangetsu katas. Focusing on these forms might be good ways to Sinocize your karate in preparation for kung fu study at a later date. I've been involved in karate and TKD for more than 20 years and would love to find a good CMA teacher in my neck of the woods, but I think qualified instruction in many kung fu styles is still very hard to find.

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

Learn how to do zhuan zhuang posture training as well as you can and practice it. Standing and the grabbing the tree one, things like that. Gongfu seems to be more focused on postural alignment and skeletal structure than what you are used to.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Yeah if your college(town) has a CMA available, be ready to re-adjust your body.

Again sifu? Yes sifu!