• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Thinking about studying MMA not fighting just learning the art any advice?

I train in traditional arts, but I am currently training for an MMA fight in August. My advice would be to not get wrapped up in MMA as an art unto itself--it's just a ruleset. MMA fighters train in multiple arts that cover all ranges of unarmed fighting, and then they take some time to combine them, so you could do that with what you're training in already, if you wanted.

If, by MMA, you mean the most common/popular combination of Muay Thai, boxing, BJJ, and wrestling, then that's a bit different because you will have to find instructors in those arts. In the end, though, you really just need a place to bring all the arts together into drills and sparring under the watchful eye of someone who knows how they work together. If you find an MMA coach who has extensive training in at least one of those arts, and who has experience putting it together for MMA (either as a fighter, themselves, or as a coach) then you have a good start.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Well Wastelander pretty much summed it all up. The hardest part of it all is flowing from one art to another and back again. That transition from striking to clinch or grappling is a tricky because is something that you can't teach each has to learn their own way in and out.

I'll echo. Find a solid gym. One with good striking classes, a true BJJ program, maybe a wrestling guy or two, and offers a "fighter's" training session that works everything.

That said, go for it. It's a great experience. You'll learn a ton about pressure testing and the psychology of conflict.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Stay true to MMA's core, and I do believe that you can do this without the fighting, and this can be done by training, as others have said here already, BJJ style. Teaching the methodologies as well as the ideologies within your own syllabus will serve you true.

Good luck and please keep us posted!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!