• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a month training I can say things are getting really heavy.

I am in week 10 of my Stronglift 5x5 program, and to do this training just before karate class is not that easy. But I have to be honest to say that I'm not getting slower by doing weight training, I'm only getting much stronger, and I don't look like a pancake anymore. Also I can handle a lot more heavier punches to the stomach or upper body and even the solar plexus. The downside of the weight training before karate class, is that I do need the resting days in between. So I don't have that much time to do cardio/endurance workouts anymore. And that I notice in karate class.

So now I'm stronger, I think I need to find a weightlifting program that also trains the endurance a bit, do you guys can help me out with that ? I found something that calls Calisthenics, maybe this is what I'm looking for ?

Member of skif belgium Honbu Dojo

I am in week 10 of my Stronglift 5x5 program, and to do this training just before karate class is not that easy. But I have to be honest to say that I'm not getting slower by doing weight training, I'm only getting much stronger, and I don't look like a pancake anymore. Also I can handle a lot more heavier punches to the stomach or upper body and even the solar plexus. The downside of the weight training before karate class, is that I do need the resting days in between. So I don't have that much time to do cardio/endurance workouts anymore. And that I notice in karate class.

So now I'm stronger, I think I need to find a weightlifting program that also trains the endurance a bit, do you guys can help me out with that ? I found something that calls Calisthenics, maybe this is what I'm looking for ?

Congratulations on the progress! I also noticed a decline in my endurance when I started lifting--I think that is pretty normal. I recommend continuing with Stronglifts until you no longer increase your strength, and then look into a more advanced routine.

For endurance, I'm afraid I am not one to recommend running--it's very hard on the body, and (at least for me) its endurance benefits don't really carry over into karate that well. If you can, I would say that swimming is a better option for endurance than running. Personally, though, I would recommend adding an intense bagwork session between lifting and karate training, or after karate training. What I typically do is Tabata-style bagwork, so I will throw hard and fast combinations on the bag for 20 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds, and then repeat that as many times as I can. Every session, try to get in one more set of 20 seconds. If you have a partner, padwork can be done the same way and is even more intense because you can move around a lot more.

Doing all of this, plus karate, in a single day is going to leave you exhausted that day and sore the next. Get lots of sleep and eat lots of clean food, and you will improve!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thanks for the advice, Tabata looks very interesting ! never heard about it before. We will give it a try. Normally I go straight home after karate class to be with my girlfriend, so maybe I can do some tabata style exercises with her :brow:

Member of skif belgium Honbu Dojo

Look into the Wendler 5/3/1 program. There is an ebook out there, or you can order it off Amazon, and from what I understand, its a very flexible workout plan that fits well with doing other activities. I also believe its got a plan for the linear progression, and then the more intermediate progression when linear isn't working for you any more. Look into it, and see what that does for you.