• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate workout plan

Hello from Belgium.

I am searching for the best workout plan for karate.

Because next year I want to do shobu ippon kumite tournaments. Besides my 3 days in the week karate training, I am searching for a workout plan that increases my speed, power and stability.

After looking on this site it is obviously that Compound exercises are better than the isolated ones. So I googled a bit and this site popped up: http://www.weighttraining.com/workout-plans/karate-workout-plan

I have no experience at all with all these exercises, so I was wondering if anybody could give their opinion about the program.

And if anybody has some good plyometrics training tips to do at home, these are offcourse also welcome.

Thank you very much in advance.

Member of skif belgium Honbu Dojo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI,

to be able to say what is the best workout, one would need to know what do you want from it.

The workout from the link is very good for muscle size and strength.

It was 2 times per week. You might need some cardio to enhance the process.

(If you have endurance already, strength is a good next step.) After that you might want some speed and power types of workouts. (Maybe functional body weight - check MMA and functional training.)

I think strength should take about 3 months and then the next step.. and then back to endurance -> strength -> power and so on

Yes, I start with the Stronglift program to gain more strenght. I'm not so strong in my legs and arms. Today I will start for the first time, Monday I had some advice and they explained all exercises. The only problem is that my fitness doesn't have a Squat rack or power rack. In the begin not a big problem because it will not be so heavy, but when I progress I will need to find alternative exercises.

One more thing I was worried about, Is it OK to train every day ?

Monday: 1 Hour Stronglift

Tuesday: 1,5 Hour Karate class

Wednesday: 1 Hour Stronglift

Thursday: 1,5 Hour Karate class

Friday: 1 Hour Stronglift

Saturday: Half Hour Running outside

Sunday: 1 Hour karate class

With regard to Stronglifts, I have never been a strong person, but I have most definitely gotten stronger in the short time I have been doing it, despite not being as consistent as I should be. You need days of rest or your body will not recover from your workouts and you will not get stronger, though. I do my Stronglifts workouts on the same days I train at the dojo, but my dojo has a rack and Olympic set so that is easy to do. If you can do your lifting on the same day, I would, so that you can rest in between days. I would also cut out the running on Saturday, but that's just me.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I agree with Wastelander on having off days. If you are going to be training that much, then it would probably be wiser to decide if you want more focus on MA or on lifting. Pick one, and let the other supplement it. If you only get two days a week lifting, then so be it. I've read that for MAists, the 5/3/1 has some really good setup variants that makes it great for atheltes who don't focus on lifting, but use it as a supplement to their other training.

Also, if your current gym doesn't have a squat rack, then try to find another gym. If you can't find one, then do what you can to buy your own, especially if you plan to really committ to the 5x5 program. Otherwise, your progression will catch up with you, and you won't be able to add weight to your squats.

I want to focus more on the karate, and do the lifting as a supplement.

Do you suggest lifting before or after a karate class ? Then I can buy some equipment and do the lifting at home, before I go to karate class.

Sunday: lifting + karate + running ?

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: lifting + karate

Wedneay: Rest

Thursday: lifting + karate

Friday: Rest

Saturday: ?

First I want to gain more strength, but I also want to get faster, do I need to worry about my speed with that lifting or not ?

I want to focus more on the karate, and do the lifting as a supplement.

Do you suggest lifting before or after a karate class ? Then I can buy some equipment and do the lifting at home, before I go to karate class.

Sunday: lifting + karate + running ?

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: lifting + karate

Wedneay: Rest

Thursday: lifting + karate

Friday: Rest

Saturday: ?

First I want to gain more strength, but I also want to get faster, do I need to worry about my speed with that lifting or not ?

This schedule definitely looks better. I lift before karate--just make sure you're staying hydrated! As far as speed goes, as long as you do your lifts quickly you will promote fast-twitch muscle development. Remember that the weight may not move quickly if it's heavy, but if you are trying to move it fast, that's what counts.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society