• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Brother's Dispute! Should children spar?

Well,

Sparring is one the most vital tools in any form of the MA. One must learn to engage in live sparring under the watchful eye of a qualified instructor. No sparring is akin to learning how to swim but never wanting to get wet, and how is one going to learn how to swim unless they get wet.

How can anyone, not just youth, learn how to fight if they don't engage in live and controlled sparring? How's one going to learn to transition and how's one going to learn how to react to someone trying to knock their block off and how's one going to learn what works or doesn't work for them?

Your brother has some concerns, but, I believe that your brother can't see the forest because of the trees. Sparring is vitally important across the board; no sparring equals defeat, imho.

Good luck!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
He is so unbelievably against anyone growing actually sparring. It is infuriating and he thinks he knows everything. Of course he is older and has been studying martial arts longer. Naturally he thinks I know nothing and he knows everything.

My brothers older than me, by 7 years, and he thinks he knows everything, and he doesn't, especially when the MA is concerned.

Your brother is a MA and he doesn't like kids sparring? As a MAist, he should know the vital importance of sparring; it's detrimental to NOT spar, imho!! Does your brother like kids doing football and the like? Kids are resilient, more so than adults, and by that I'm not saying that kids should spar without any protective gear, no, but, a MAist needs to spar, otherwise, defeat is eminent.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think sparring is good at all levels and ages. It works great for kids' Wrestling, and it works well for the kids sparring in our school. Give them the proper equipment, and sparring provides a great learning environment. I'd say its more detrimental not to spar.

• 2 months later...

Sparring is good at all ages. But if they are young (under the age of 14) they should be closely monitered. Since they still are learning correct technique and control.

Once they are old enough (or ranked high enough) they are more able to control themselves and not hurt their partners.

So sparring is good at any age.