• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

USe of the title "Master"

I think it's silly to expect someone to "master all there is" about their art to be called master. It's sort of like fluency in a language. Just because you speak English fluently, does that mean you know every word in the Oxford English Dictionary? No! Likewise, masters don't know everything--if they did, what would be the point of having grandmasters? Even worse, what would be the point of those masters continuing in the martial arts if there was nothing to learn?

Our master just goes by "Kwan Jahng Nim". His master's certificate is on display at the studio, etc., but that's all there is to it. We respect him because he's an amazing teacher and a great person, not because he holds a 5th degree black belt. Belts and titles only go so far--using the word "master" is fine, just back it up with actions!

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL @ Bretty - I know the feeling! From now I shall introduce myself as "Master Bitseach". I have an MSc in genetics. Now if only I could have done the Grandmasters Degree course instead! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damn, I can't wait to go to uni so I can become a professor and call myself Dr.Bon!

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Please read this article by Dave Lowry.

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/archives/blackbelt/1992/may92/karateway/karateway.html

" Anyone who refers to himself as a master or allows himself to be referred to as a master isn't."

Yukiyoshi Takamura

Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin Kai

" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war "

- Chinese Proverb

I would have to agree, that anyone that refers to themselves as a master is not a master, also I agree with you again tessone in that if they knew it all, would there be anything else to learn.

My Sensei is pretty amazing she is an 8th Dan. But Sensei is pretty down to earth, normal nice person, that is there to teach and not make a profit. I am very lucky.

Take Care.

The term "Master" to me is ridiculous. Im not anyones slave or servant nor do I want to be subserviant to anyone. To call someone Sensei, teacher,Sifu ect.. is a title of respect. The term Master IMO is a little outdated and seriously overused. Grand-Master??? Yes Master???

Is it just me? Just a little peeve of mine. I hope I do not anger the Karate Gods..... :idea: :o :roll: :brow:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

" Anyone who refers to himself as a master or allows himself to be referred to as a master isn't."

My Aki-Jujitsu sensei hated to be refered to as "Sensei" unless he had really earned your respect and even then resented the term being applied to him. He was just there to "share the knowledge".

• 4 weeks later...
My first instructor in Moo Duk Kwan TKD, was a 5th dan master. In order to get that title he had to go to Korea and undergo a "Master" testing. He had to perform outrageous feats like staying in icy water for a set amount of time, walking on hot coals, stuff like that. Anywho, he had to prove he had the mental capacity, physical capacity, and a big enough check to fill the organizations coffers. I believe Kuk Sool Won has a masters test. I have been known to be wrong though. 8)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

The term "Master" to me is ridiculous. Im not anyones slave or servant nor do I want to be subserviant to anyone Grand-Master??? Yes Master???

Is it just me?

I believe you are equating the term "master" with slavery and that has no bearng on the title and rank ... it is simply the rank before "grandmaster" ... most commonly seen in the Chinese arts.

The Chinese ranks are really based on the family. When a student enters the art he or she is called a child. They do this even in the Karate systemsthis is called Kyu rank which means child. A Dan rank is considered an adult. It is a sign of growth. Master is the father of the adults and children and the grandmaster is like the grandfather of the family. This indicates time spent in the arts, knowledge of the system and wisdom attained through the life experience.