• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Kyu "Challenges" A Dan!!

Why do you think that a Dan rank wouldn't want to spar with a Kyu rank?

:idea:

I think some dan ranks could be a bit prideful, and not want to have others see a kyu rank scoring points on them, or good hits, etc.

I expect to get tagged here and there in sparring, by no matter who I am sparring. Its all learning.

Yes...I agree. Except, I would only modify your statement a wee bit... :P I would say that there certainly are dan ranks that are prideful and can't stand the idea of a kyu scoring a hit on them.

As instructors, we expect to be hit and we are, quite often! Both, because we must fight at our students' levels (what do they learn if we "black belt up" on them and trounce them?), we throw stuff expecting to be blocked and hit, and because we're not perfect or Superman..! When a student gets a good hit on me, I tell them, "great job, you did well there". If not, and I continue to block them and get hits in on them, I tell them, "you need to work on this here or that there...there you go! Now you have it!"

As instructors, we always go home with more bumps and bruises than our students... :D

Solid post!!

To the bold type above...

Bingo!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic