• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What did you teach today?

9/18/2013

I spent some extra time in class hitting on side kicks, specifically working on the technique at the point of chambering and pivoting. I don't want our student's side kicks to be confused with round kicks, and side kicks seem to be the kick that gets shortcut the most. So, I take every chance I can to work some extra side kicks in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10/9/2013

Worked on some sparring blocking and moving in regards to blocking round kicks. I see our students reaching across the body to block the kicks with their strong hand, because they aren't comfortable with their weak hand doing anything. So, I started some controlled, arranged sparring work so they can see the technique and react to it, with the proper blocking arm, and some footwork.

10/9/13

Reviewed some combinations, pak sao punch roundhouse. And day one with sticks.

https://www.tkdunlimited.net

"Even though our path is completely different from the warrior arts of the past, it is not necessary to abandon totally the old ways. Absorb venerable traditions into this Art by clothing them with fresh garments, and building on the classic styles to create better forms." -Morihei Ueshiba

10/16/2013

I picked out some different things with each rank to work on for their forms today. Low orange belt, mainly working on keeping his feet close under him on 270 degree turns, for better balance, and keeping his hands and forearms lined up for good blocks and strikes. High orange belt, getting him to loosen up his shoulders so he could strike faster without slowing himself down (same with his blocking). Low green belt, I focused mainly on her front stances, and not being lazy with them. I also worked on her turns in her form, stepping from one line to two lines in the turns. For our low brown belt, I had him focus on white belt and low orange belt form, and told him I was going to begin drilling him every class I have with him on those two forms, plus his own, so he can start working towards having them all down as he tests up. With the recommended black belts, I did a 'pick-a-form' where I called out a form name, and they had to recall it. They both have to do all colored belt forms and one-steps for their next testing, so I want to make sure they won't be stumped at all.

At the end of class, I had the students work on kicking paddles instead of sparring. I focused mainly on outer crescent kicks and spin outer crescent kicks that are done in one-steps. For the ones having trouble, I had them start by facing away from the paddles, then look over their shoulder, and turn and kick from basically a half way point. In the past, this has been a good teaching tool for me in helping the students get the idea of where the leg is from chamber to contact point without a full spin pulling them off balance. From there, I moved to going from out outer crescent stance we do in basics, having them do the kick from the back leg in front stance, and then, after landing behind, using the momentum to set up the spinning outer crescent. Things started to click after a while.

I teach 6 classes a day 4 days a week, and then 3 classes on Fridays.

This week in the 3-4 year olds class, we are focusing on learning to punch in a horse stance, on Monday we introduced the topic, and today we did the following:

- run around the room 5 times while counting out "1 ma'am", etc

- practice jumping jacks for 10 seconds

- practice jumping and switching feet for 10 seconds each

- perform basic stretches

- practice half push-ups, reverse curl-ups, and jumps for 10 seconds each

- practice high blocks from ready stance (10 total)

- practice front kicks from kicking stance (5 each side)

- sat down and discussed punching (why do we learn it, and how to make a proper fist)

- play a game where they run around the room, and on "stop" they must jump into a horse stance with hands back and a loud kihap (this gives me the opportunity to correct their stances in a "fun" way)

- do a drill where they run across the room, spin in a circle thats on the ground, jump into a horse stance, perform five punches (self counted), and sit down with legs crossed and hands on knees (this develops their ability to follow step by step directions)

- run around the room for 1 more minute

- sit down, and test one at a time on their ability to stand in a horse stance and punch 10 times (students must punch correctly, with back hand on the waist, fists tight, to pass this test)

- play a game of ninja-ninja-black ninja to help them with listening skills and confidence (like duck-duck-goose, except the students say any color of ninja for duck "green ninja, blue ninja, purple ninja, BLACK ninja" etc.)

- we call all of these "drills" and the last one a "fun drill", the word game is never used in class

Yes, they are not learning forms. Yes, they are not sparring. Yes, they are not learning the best way to strike someone in the nose. But they are learning...how to sit still, how to follow directions, how to participate in a group environment, how to perform basic punching, kicking, and stances, how to perform stretches, how to perform basic fitness exercises, and how to enjoy themselves while getting healthier.

Each class we focus on "trying your best" and discuss it often. Additionally the students are expected to follow the rules of the class, for example: sitting with legs crossed and hands on knees, raising their hand to speak, bowing onto and off of the mat, answering with "yes ma'am", etc. When students fail to follow the rules, they are gently reminded. Students who consistently break the rules have a personal discussion with myself or another instructor. All students must be evaluated before joining the program, and anyone who does not pass the evaluation is not allowed to join.

Next week, I'll post one of my 5-7 year old classes!

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Today i taught my juniors kicks with focus on a good front kick and roundhouse kick.

Adults we focused on takedowns, throws and some locks. Which I was pleased about as I love teaching that stuff. My sensei was unfortunately out sick today so he couldn't teach or come in (he has meningitis atm). So it was up to me and a fellow 2nd dan to look after the classes for the day.

I teach 6 classes a day 4 days a week, and then 3 classes on Fridays.

This week in the 3-4 year olds class, we are focusing on learning to punch in a horse stance, on Monday we introduced the topic, and today we did the following:

- run around the room 5 times while counting out "1 ma'am", etc

- practice jumping jacks for 10 seconds

- practice jumping and switching feet for 10 seconds each

- perform basic stretches

- practice half push-ups, reverse curl-ups, and jumps for 10 seconds each

- practice high blocks from ready stance (10 total)

- practice front kicks from kicking stance (5 each side)

- sat down and discussed punching (why do we learn it, and how to make a proper fist)

- play a game where they run around the room, and on "stop" they must jump into a horse stance with hands back and a loud kihap (this gives me the opportunity to correct their stances in a "fun" way)

- do a drill where they run across the room, spin in a circle thats on the ground, jump into a horse stance, perform five punches (self counted), and sit down with legs crossed and hands on knees (this develops their ability to follow step by step directions)

- run around the room for 1 more minute

- sit down, and test one at a time on their ability to stand in a horse stance and punch 10 times (students must punch correctly, with back hand on the waist, fists tight, to pass this test)

- play a game of ninja-ninja-black ninja to help them with listening skills and confidence (like duck-duck-goose, except the students say any color of ninja for duck "green ninja, blue ninja, purple ninja, BLACK ninja" etc.)

- we call all of these "drills" and the last one a "fun drill", the word game is never used in class

Yes, they are not learning forms. Yes, they are not sparring. Yes, they are not learning the best way to strike someone in the nose. But they are learning...how to sit still, how to follow directions, how to participate in a group environment, how to perform basic punching, kicking, and stances, how to perform stretches, how to perform basic fitness exercises, and how to enjoy themselves while getting healthier.

Each class we focus on "trying your best" and discuss it often. Additionally the students are expected to follow the rules of the class, for example: sitting with legs crossed and hands on knees, raising their hand to speak, bowing onto and off of the mat, answering with "yes ma'am", etc. When students fail to follow the rules, they are gently reminded. Students who consistently break the rules have a personal discussion with myself or another instructor. All students must be evaluated before joining the program, and anyone who does not pass the evaluation is not allowed to join.

Next week, I'll post one of my 5-7 year old classes!

Absolute...AWESOME!! Well mix across the board!!

:karate:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Today i taught my juniors kicks with focus on a good front kick and roundhouse kick.

Adults we focused on takedowns, throws and some locks. Which I was pleased about as I love teaching that stuff. My sensei was unfortunately out sick today so he couldn't teach or come in (he has meningitis atm). So it was up to me and a fellow 2nd dan to look after the classes for the day.

Best wishes to your Sensei!!

:karate:

**Proof is on the floor!!!