• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do black belt's have on there belts?

SolidAir

Rank identifiers on my left. I know, boring! The right side has changed twice thru the many decades, but that side's blank for now.

:)

Shindokan will return to the right side.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

name of the club on one side in kanji and my name in katakana down the other side

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

I just received the last black belt I'll ever own today in the mail. It has my name on one side. Pedro Sauer's signature embroidered on the other (in the red bar). It's awesome. I'll post a pic soon.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I have a few belts now, but the ones I've been wearing lately are completely blank. No name, no organization name, ...means I can use it in multiple dojos :karate:

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

• 2 weeks later...

On the left side my name in English w/ my name in Korean under it.

On the right side I have Tang Soo Do in Korean, then 2 pieces of tape under it.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• 5 weeks later...

Just plain black. I may get one with kanj on the left side- Okinawa Karate Do.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• 1 month later...

First time back in a long while. Glad to see the place is still going strong.

Anyway, my belt has the name of the two styles practiced in my dojo written in kanji, one on each end. The yellow lettering really makes it stand out.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

Name in kanji on one, style on the other.

Sometimes in pictures of Okinawan teachers youll see three stripes on each side. I think this means however many stripes +Sixth dan. Once again I could be wrong, and if I am no disrespect.

I believe in those cases the stripes represent the titles of Renshi, Kyoshi, and Hanshi. If we're thinking of the same thing, that is--it could certainly be something else. My sensei told me about an organization where they give one stripe for every 3 dan ranks, so they could really be anything.

In traditional Matsubayashi-Ryu, stripes on black belts are only permitted for Rokudan and above. Those Godan and below aren't allowed anything other than their names and style. Also, the "colored" black belts (red / black, white / red, etc) are not used. There are Matsubayashi schools in which some of their seasoned black belts have these colored black belts, but these schools are not typically a part of the WMKA...

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

I was trying to post a pic but, because it's on FB, it won't post properly. If you want to see it you can go to:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=489716527761636&set=a.422197961180160.95551.100001698783688&type=1&theater

It's a facebook address. So if you don't want to go to FB then avoid.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."