• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice please - ACL & Meniscus knee reconstruction surge

Thief

Hi, it's possible that a similar topic exists already (I would be surprised if it didn't....), but I didn't find it among the more recent discussion, so I would appreciate any advice from you guys.

The story: I am 45 y.o. practicing shotokan since the age of 20. I took a longer break (few years) during which I kept quite fit (lots of gym, jogging, soccer) however no karate.

Last year I got back into karate, and - funny as it seems - I wanted to do a tournament as well. I jumped right into competition oriented training, drills, etc .., and broke my right knee.

The MRI diagnosis gave a complete Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) tear, and the doctor also diagnosed a partial inner meniscus tear. Two months later I went for surgery - Arthroscopic Knee Reconstruction, followed by a few sessions of guided physiotherapy.

Now I am 5 months after surgery and trying to get back to karate training. I am experiencing the following:

- I am still limping when walking

- I cannot fully extend the right leg by myself, however if I press it down I reach full extension

- I can do light jogging, however with a limp, and it feels difficult overall

- I can kick slowly raise and kick with the right leg (the operated one), but in slow, controlled motion only, and the knee feels sort of funny

- I cannot kick with the left leg (the healthy one!). the reason is that the left leg / hip seems to have lost it's flexibility, my whole body seems stiffed up when trying to use the left!

Of course, I got all the medical advice I could, but I have not yet heard it from an actual karate / martial arts guy who has been there already, and recovered.

So my question to you guys: has anybody been thru this? How, and how long did it take to recover? Is it possible to get back to where I was before the accident?

It is extremely frustrating, it is the first time that I am experiencing such a physical limitation .... Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt