• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Karate style(s) do you train ?

shanny_kimura

Shotokan Karate. Kyokushin is calling me, although it is a bit too agressive for me, I think :-)

Noo! Don't say that. They will make sure to get you ready before Kumite and the conditioning stuff. Just go your own pace :) I recommend Kuokushinkai big time !!!

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu black belt - Kodokan Judo 2nd Dan black belt - ITF TaeKwonDo black belt - Kyokushin Karate black belt - Shotokan Karate black belt - Kenpo Karate 4th Dan black belt - Yoshinkan Aikido brown belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I really appreciate your opinion, but the fact is that I've never gone into real-contact kumite, just pointing combat like we do on Shotokan, and I guess Kyokushin is precisely about that: CONTACT and KO and so on :-)

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly: "aggresive" is not the right word.

Regards

Shotokan and a small bit of Goju Ryu

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

I previously trained in Shuri-Ryu, which is an eclectic karate style founded in the 1950's by Robert Trias. I still practice the kata that I learned in that system, and the basics gave me a solid base to work from, but I no longer practice the short forms (ippon kumite kata, taezu naru waza, and kihon kumite kata). I currently train in Shorin-Ryu, as part of the Shorinkan organization headed by Shugoro Nakazato. My sensei is very open-minded, though, and has experience in several other systems, so at this point I mostly just practice a more general "karate" and we call it Shorin-Ryu because we still teach the standards for that system.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Wado Ryu, although to me, karate is just karate, no matter what fancy japanese sounding words you put before it.

Karate: 1st Dan Black Belt

Hosharafu: 1st Degree Black Belt

Shaolin Chuan Fa: 8th Kyu

Freestyle: 9th Kyu