• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Average length of your Karate class

RJCKarate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate is an hour for both kids and adults (I go to both classes, so I wind up doing two hours). It's very unstructured. Kids start with about a 10 minute warmup and then usually some basics before doing kata/sparring/bagwork/partner work/whatever we're doing that day. The adult class is even less structured. We don't warm up at all since most of us are at the kids class and the ones who aren't usually come a little early to warm up on their own, then we usually go back and forth between kata and applications. Do a kata, work some applications, do a kata, work some applications, etc. We don't really do basics or sparring or bagwork in the adult class, which is why I'm glad they let me help with the kids' class.

Judo is an hour and a half for "adults" (everyone over 10) and an hour for the really little kids. We usually do about a half hour of warm ups/ukemi drills followed by working individual techniques and like once a week some randori at the end. I'm not quite sure how the little kids' class is structured, but I'm gonna find out soon since they asked me the other night to help out with the kids. I'm only a white belt, so I can't teach them much Judo, but I'm an elementary school teacher, so I can keep them from running around screaming while the instructors teach them Judo. :-)

Our classes SHOULD be 50 minutes but they can last up to 1.5 hours so we can beat up the kickboxers who follow us enthusiastically in our self defense sessions.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Every Kyokushin dojo Ive trained at has run 2 hour classes for adults, particularly in more advanced ranked classes.

Kids do a 1 hour class. (which is much more structured around the basic syllabus than the adults).

Though its different for beginners (akin to the kids classes noted above), adult advanced classes are always different. Sometimes focus is on kata, sometimes on self defence, sometimes on full contact. In 20 years I dont think Ive ever done two lessons that were exactly the same.

All classes generally have a quick 5-10 minute warm up (we are pretty much expected to be already warmed up), 5 min stretching to begin. Same to warm down at the end.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

My classes normally last a good hour but I usually come to the dojo 1.5 hour to 2 hours early to warm up on the bag a bit.

Our class starts off with paying our respects and then we do our warm ups for 15 minutes. I have class only 2 times a week so that's why I normally come early for more exercise (dividing Tuesdays for sparring/breaking/weapons. Some people wish to work on different things this is why there are so many options on Tuesdays. Thursdays we normally work on katas) and that's what we normally do the next 45 minutes. We normally split into groups on Kara nights but the higher ranks are always willing to help the beginner ranks with katas or applications

Keep practicing and train hard.