• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first competition

steviewaddy82

What are the chances of me getting hurt? This is whats bothering me

Nobody can give you that information. Show me your opponents and then show me you. See?

Rotate towards the opponents' backside. If you are constantly doing that the odds of you taking a really solid shot to the head are reduced. Learn to move laterally very quickly.

Charging straight ahead is not ideal unless you are quicker and larger than your opponent.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you go into contact totally committed, injuries are rare.

The problems and injuries happen when you do techniques in two minds. Go for it.

Please wear the correct gear and mouth guard, your spirit will be your friend.

As for the Kata, relax and let your best Budo happen!! Osu!!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Really what I can tell you is to just enjoy it. There are going to be others watching you and an obvious sense of pressure around you but I mean someone can only do so well. My first tournament I only competed in sparring and lost in the first round! Second third and fourth year I was the grand champion in my division so if that's encouraging at all I'm glad I helped

Just remember your training. Have fun.

Keep practicing and train hard.

I agree with all the people that gives you the advice of "relax and have fun". Serious injuries are rare. Of course you can get a punch on your nose with some blood, but that is not really serious and heal quickly.

Trust your skills and those of your oponent. Remember that in a pointing combat, the objective is not strike, just score.

The biggest thing, especially if it's your first time competing, is to relax and have fun. Biggest and best thing you can do for a positive experience. Don't over pressure yourself. Just go and check the box.

Enjoy the train up as well. Work hard, enjoy some extra gym time (and I strongly advise you start cutting your teeth on a training camp of sorts leading up to it), again, don't over pressure yourself. There's plenty of time for that once you've got the initial butterflies out of the way and decide that competition is for you.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Cutting my teeth?

great posts guys, im starting to get exited now, hope fully i will do ok, what happens if i win? will i fight again?

Probably. Depends of course upon how many are in your division. If there are 5 for example...you'll need to fight three times to win it all. If there are 4 you might only have to fight twice.

You might have to fight more than once even if you lose your first match. Or if you lose in the first match you might be done. Of the two? You are rooting for as many fights as possible win or lose. Nothing stinks more than spending $50 to enter and only getting one fight in.

The biggest thing, especially if it's your first time competing, is to relax and have fun. Biggest and best thing you can do for a positive experience. Don't over pressure yourself. Just go and check the box.

Enjoy the train up as well. Work hard, enjoy some extra gym time (and I strongly advise you start cutting your teeth on a training camp of sorts leading up to it), again, don't over pressure yourself. There's plenty of time for that once you've got the initial butterflies out of the way and decide that competition is for you.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Cutting my teeth?

It's an expression for beginning something, derived from the time when a baby's teeth come in.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma