• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tips for better stamina / a good cardio workout

ossemon

Hi!

I was wondering if any of you had good tips for increasing stamina.

Unfortunately, due to my knees, I cannot run (outside or on a treadmill)

However, I have a FULLY equipped gym available, with a huge training hall and a lot of machines.

I also have 2 x 1 hour/weekly available during working hours i planned to use for this.

Any hints?

Karate ni Sente Nashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a really hard one considering your knee issues, as jogging is good for this.

I would recommend high intensity interval training (known as HIIT).

Basically along the lines of short bursts of 80-90% of maximum exertion for a minute, and then a thirty second rest. Repeat for 5-10 rounds.

One of my little sample programs (I call them circuits) is:

-Star jumps.

-V-sit ups.

-Mountain climbers.

-Drill blocks and/or punches.

-Goblet kettlebell squats.

-Plank (hold static).

-Knuckle push ups.

Some of these will be a little hard if your knee problems extend beyond just running, but you can substitute any exercises, just fit to the same formula, and don't go over about 15min in any one session.

If you're not exhausted in 15min, you're not working hard enough!

Also, I do timed rounds on the heavy bag, just throwing punches and kicks in combo's for 90 seconds, then rest 30 seconds, etc etc.... repeat 10-20 times or until failure (or until my knuckles are bleeding...).

Additionally, resistance training might help with muscle endurance and lasting longer under high energy expenditure.

I use resistance bands and static/isometric exercises held until perfect form is not possible (failure).

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Running can be bad for your joints, knees and hips. A good rowing machine cannot be beaten for stamina training. Start with three sets of 30 reps, untill you can do 100 without a break. Then do 100 twice a day with a day rest in between. Works for me!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

One option to increase cardio endurance is to pick a machine {really doesn't matter, as long as your knees like it} and do interval work. The long slow boring times on cardio machines are dead. Intervals, short high intense periods followed by a slow low intensity recovery period.

Example:

30 seconds high intensity

90 seconds low intensity

and repeat

The high intensity periods should be no longer than one minute and do give it all you got for that period, then recover and repeat. With this you can cut down your time on the cardio machines by half or even a third and burn more calories {sorry, I usually deal with weight management people...}, increase cardio endurance for fighting/sparring and overall work the body harder.

Hi, guys!

Thanks for all the great replies!

My knee problem is due to being too overweight for a period combined with surgery. If I run, especially on a hard surface, I get pains in my knee very quickly. That is why I avoid running.

If I do run, it is short bursts, and that works great.

I have an elliptical machine here at work, but I never tried it. I will give it a go.

As of swimming, I don't have time to go to a pool, but I will swim more this summer :D

I will look into HIIT and other interval sessions!

Again, thank you all :)

(Yesterday I had a brilliant stamina session while instructing: I was completely exhausted, and so was all my students :D )

Karate ni Sente Nashi

Elliptical machines are pretty easy on the knees. Some interval training on one of those twice a week would be adequate to improve your stamina considerably.

This is my vote. Really works the legs, too. I also like the rowing machine. I always hear good things about Tabata drills, too. Give it a google search.

Elliptical machines are a good alternative to running, but listen to your knees! It's all in how the elliptical tracks and it 'forces' your knees to track with the machine. If that doesn't bother your knees then run {for lack of a better term...} with it. If your knees don't like it then stop, but don't give up as different elliptical models track in slightly different paths and one path maybe good for your knees.

Elliptical machines are pretty easy on the knees. Some interval training on one of those twice a week would be adequate to improve your stamina considerably.

This is my vote. Really works the legs, too. I also like the rowing machine. I always hear good things about Tabata drills, too. Give it a google search.

Tabata drills are a killer, I've recently started doing more and more of them in my workouts.

HIIT bag work is great too.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius