• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

weight/power/speed training for shotokan karate

Epyon

In training there is S.A.I.D principle or "what you do, is what you get". If you move faster, you'll train your speed. For best speed training you need to use very light weights - just 100g in your wrists or angles and also to do slight downhill techniques to get an override or even faster speed. (fast would be with out weights.)

This is when your muscles and core is in shape! First you need to build a sound base of strength to mold it later. Jumping, running climbing, kettlebell, weight training in gym...

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one question....I will get later back to weightlifting/strenght training.

For running, what would be the best running regime for a karateka?

You could run for distance, which will be great for endurance, but what might be better is doing some sprint work or "ladders." You'll be training for short bursts of anaerobic activity, which is what the sparring will be like. Hill sprints would probably be another good option.

My sensei says a good karateka must be able to run for about 45 minutes.

Since I'm only 1.68 cm tall I am very afraid of getting shorter

http://www.stronghealthtips.com/lifting-weights-shorter

This article says you get shorter from deadlifts and barbell squats. Should I just avoid everything that goes above the head and what could I do instead?

It's one study, with only 8 subjects. We know that the average body is shorter in the evening then in the morning, this helps to explain why there is more spinal shrinkage in morning workouts ~ by the evening your spin has already shrunk during the day. Also, the study does not go into long term effects of spinal shrinkage and I have not been able to find one.

I would not worry about lifting and serious issues with spinal shrinkage. It happens if you lift or do not lift, though there maybe more shrinkage while lifting and your spine returns to normal with rest.

My sensei says a good karateka must be able to run for about 45 minutes.

Since I'm only 1.68 cm tall I am very afraid of getting shorter

http://www.stronghealthtips.com/lifting-weights-shorter

This article says you get shorter from deadlifts and barbell squats. Should I just avoid everything that goes above the head and what could I do instead?

Not so sure about that site. In my time squatting, I haven't really noticed a decrease in my height. There are lots of heavy squatters out there, too, and I don't think the power lifting world has seen an abundance of height decline in their athletes.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

For weight training my sensei says it's better to use lighter weights and do more repetitions, but I also read somewhere it's better to use heavier weights and less repetitions (8-12). What is true?

It's better to do both, but not at the same time or training session/period. Heavy weight/low rep {4-6} is for strength, where low weight/high rep {8-12} is for muscular endurance. Also, as martial artists we need power and that is a combination of strength times speed. With heavy lift training this can be accomplished with your repetition speed. Slow down and push/explode up, this is done with lighter weights, you may have seen this with pushups. 5 count down and 1 count up.

Thank you! Very helpful.

On june the 22th I'm going to have my first karate exam by the way! So I have 38 days left, and yesterday I challenged myself to at least train 20 times by myself. I'm working hard right now (karate, power/strengt/weight and cardio). I'm already starting to notice that my body is getting stronger and my karate smoother.

I've heard the "8-12 reps for muscular endurance" talked about for a lot of years, however, I've done some reading that may show that not to be the case. If you want to improve muscular endurance, you have to tap into a different energy system in the body, and 8-12 reps aren't going to get you there. Things like running long distance do that. So, if you want to "lift" into muscular endurance, you are probably looking into doing reps in the range of the 100s. Better to go with sets of 5, and build your strength, and supplement running or other cardio for endurance. But for Karate, sprint training or hill running may prove more beneficial.