• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

weight/power/speed training for shotokan karate

Epyon

I think you mixed up white tendons with white muscle fibers. White tendons are a fibrous tissue that attaches muscles to bones and/or other structures. Where as white muscle fibers are more commonly known as fast twitch muscles. This is part of what we need to be training as fighters.
You're probably right. Like I said, it's been awhile since I've read the article.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how exactly do you train speed while using normal weights?

I need to strenghten my arms, upper body and legs. Weighting my wrists and ankles can do that? I guess that for the abs I could just do sit ups?

Weight training will not slow you down. There is no study that can verify that, my knowledge. Look at NFL athletes. They've all done some weight training. The key is to make sure to work on your flexibility and do some training for speed, as has been mentioned.

There are some good weight training programs out there to check out. Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, and Wendler's 5/3/1 are all good programs to check out. As you get stronger, you have to modify the programming so your body can still respond, but any of these programs would benefit you as a beginner. Like anything, you have to do your homework when it comes to strength training.

Squats, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Dead Lifts, and/or Power Cleans should make up the bulk of your lifting regimine. Lift 3 days a week, 3 lifts per day, 3x5 or 5x5, using linear progression, adding 5 or 10 lbs per lift each session, until you can't anymore. Keep up your Karate training, and you'll see some great results.

Thank you for your responce.

I'm not a tall guy, more like Asian lenght, haha, so is it true that deadlifting and overhead press can make you lose some lenght?

I also wonder, I have a pretty good dumbbel set here at home, can I do these exercises with them instead?

No, weight lifting will not decrease your stature, and yes all exercises can be done with dumbbells. Bushido_man is correct in saying that weight lifting will not slow you down, but it will not make you any faster unless you work on speed or power training. Plyo's, plyo's, plyo's and throw in some medicine ball work along with the Olympic lifts.

It needs to be a healthy mix of strength, flexibility, speed, power and your karate training. Everybody's different and has different goals, both short and long term. You are just starting out, so my recommendation is go heavier on the karate training and one or two days a week work on everything else. As you progress, you will need to reevaluate your training schedule.

Dumbells can be used, but when you get heavy with them, they are a lot more cumbersome. Barbell weights are great because they allow for the body to work as a unit, like its supposed to, and allow for easier progressive loading, which leads to more progress.

But if you have dumbells, its a good place to start.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well i would suggest you not to go for gym right now you should do activities at home.

Go swimming,cycling,running,play cricket,tennis,football etc they are also exercises according to me because they makes your muscles strong and increases the stamina.

Edited by Tonny

Well i would suggest you not to go for gym right now you should do activities at home.

Go swimming,cycling,running,play cricket,tennis,football etc they are also exercises according to me because they makes your muscles strong and increases the stamina.

Several of the activities you mention require one to leave home, unless you have a pool at home. Why do you recommend against going to the gym?

Being a beginner, your best bet aside from constantly working on your basics both inside and outside of class is to start establishing a basic strength and conditioning program. It doesn't need to be karate-specific at this time, just general strengthening of the entire body and getting some cardio in will pay big dividends in the long run. This is the time to build the foundation for your fighting ability.

• 3 weeks later...