• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

weight/power/speed training for shotokan karate

Epyon

I'm 19 and I started training shotokan karate three weeks ago and I would like to start doing some additional training. To be honest, I know very little about these things but I read that lifting weights will make you slower etc. I want to become stronger and faster, what can I do? So what I am asking for is what can is specifically do to reach my goal? These additional training sessions are meant to be done in favor of karate, so perform the best I can. I guess you guys should also know that at the moment I train once a week on every thursday, but I hope to start training soon every monday as well. Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, welcome to KF!

It is true that weight training slows you down due to the added weight in muscle you're putting on. However, this perspective comes from people who weight train without working to much on speed. If you want strength while speed in exercises geared towards karate I can make a few suggestions.

1: Do your basics in water. The resistance is will help you with both speed and power

2: By weighted wrist and ankle bands and do the basics. This will help you very much in the same way.

3: Work a heavy bag. It's not only fun but it will help with speed.

4: Do the basics. Basics are important and they not only help you get better technique but they also help to develop speed.

All this being said, don't over do it. You're a white belt and it's awesome that you want to put this much into your training. This level of commitment is very admirable and I think every Martial Artist should strive for your enthusiasm. What I think the best thing for you to do at the moment is take up that Monday class and enjoy it. Make a light regimen for the in between and as you learn more in your system add more to your additional training. Invariably you will learn additional techniques and kata that are going to demand practice for mastery so leave room in your regimens to practice that.

Most importantly, welcome to the world of Martial Arts. I hope that you find as much fun and fulfillment as I did and still do. The path ahead is not an easy one but it is very much worth it.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Thank you for your kind responce. I started doing karate because I really want to dedicate myself to something and get the most out of myself.

It might be a stupid question, but what do you actually mean with 'basics'?

Not a stupid question at all. Every class, for me, we started doing the 40 basics not only to warm up but to also practice doing these things. They are basic punching and kicking exercises. For example, punches, elbow strikes, front, back and side kicks.

Okay. What if it's not really possible for me to do exercises in the water? Are there other alternatives? Is it true then that doing things with weights is wholly excluded? To be honest, haha, my whole body needs to get stronger. I am not fat, not even close, so it's not like I need to lose fat, chances are it would even be beneficial for me to gain some weight.

Okay. What if it's not really possible for me to do exercises in the water? Are there other alternatives? Is it true then that doing things with weights is wholly excluded?

Not excluded at all. If that how you wanna train the by all means do so. Just make sure you're working on speed while you do so if you're worried about it hampering on your agility. The weighted wrist and ankle band would give the same effect. The only thing is that you have to be more careful using those as you might be more prone to injury.

And how exactly do you train speed while using normal weights?

I need to strenghten my arms, upper body and legs. Weighting my wrists and ankles can do that? I guess that for the abs I could just do sit ups?

First, welcome to the board and welcome to Karate!

As already mentioned BASICS! You are young and just beginning, so the act of practicing and your regular training will make you stronger and faster. Eventually you will need more, start with body weight exercises. Again the basics like squats, lunges, pushups, etc and then move into plyometrics. Plyo's are what makes you faster and more powerful. Medicine balls are a real good tool to add to either bodyweight or plyo exercises.

If you are looking into weight training, then focus on the heavy lifting: back squat, front squat, deadlift, standing shoulder press, etc. Eventually moving into the Olympic lifting. Find a good personal trainer or sport conditioning coach in your area and if they recommend exercises like bicep curl or triceps kickback they are not the right fit for what you need.

I read an article some time ago about developing speed with strikes. The writer of the article equated speed to something called white tendons. Apparently to work these you should continually move. The more tired you are the more you rely on white tendons to do the work and therefore you build speed.

I think you mixed up white tendons with white muscle fibers. White tendons are a fibrous tissue that attaches muscles to bones and/or other structures. Where as white muscle fibers are more commonly known as fast twitch muscles. This is part of what we need to be training as fighters.