A good martial artist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing human anatomy helps I suppose as well as knowing physics and gravity also helps as well for sitting down on punches/strikes as well as making sure your not off-balance on different surfaces...

After all in boxing and martial arts there is a science behind it.

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

A good martial artist needs to live according to the teaching of the style

I have issues backing this claim. I don't think that a style can embody a certain life style. I think that, at the most, a style can embody some sort of discipline but that is up to the teacher to impart and/or the student to internalize. However, no style inherently implies some sort of living standard.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

A good martial artist needs to live according to the teaching of the style

I have issues backing this claim. I don't think that a style can embody a certain life style. I think that, at the most, a style can embody some sort of discipline but that is up to the teacher to impart and/or the student to internalize. However, no style inherently implies some sort of living standard.

Any fighting style is exactly that; a fighting style. Any philosophical ideas passed learned in a fighting system are coming from the teacher's ideas and philosophies. Its basically someone trying to influence you to their way of thinking. The fighting system, in and of itself, can't do this.

One of my new favorite quotes, " Never look down on someone, unless you are helping them up." I think that quote also embodies what a true martial artists is. I just wanted to share.
That sums up a whole lot of what being a Martial Artist is in a very nice way.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

One of my new favorite quotes, " Never look down on someone, unless you are helping them up." I think that quote also embodies what a true martial artists is. I just wanted to share.
That sums up a whole lot of what being a Martial Artist is in a very nice way.
Hard to argue with this, just as human beings in general.

• 2 months later...

A good martial Artist is a Martial Artist that knows the knowledge of his art and must be focused and Have that martial arts spirit or Karate Spirit and must be motivated at all times and also his technique and Forms are perfect and also must be humble

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

I would add being modest and not being selfish.

Also I think a good martial artist should know when and when not to use his martial arts and to which extend he should apply it. (Also a part of self-control)

Cheers

T3chnopsycho

1st Dan:

It's not the top but just the point where you start to understand the true size of what you're doing.

To me most of it is about perseverance. Like they say-- a black belt is a white belt who never quit.

There's also a commitment to learn the movements and theories behind the physical movements-- to me that's the difference between a martial artist and a brawler. You can be a good fighter without being a martial artist.

Finally, there's the self-control and sense of responsibility to use your skills appropriately and not become a bully or a show off or a brute.