• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wrist lock throw

hiddendragon98

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any kind of small joint work really mandates the presence of an instructor to work hands on. There are too many tiny details that don't transmit well via the written word.

That said, consider a couple of "big picture" points as you delve into this movement. First up, this is a snapshot of a particular manipulation. It's not in context with a combat situation. That doesn't make it bad, it just means it's PART of an overall pattern. By just looking at this part, if that's all one looks at, you're not building a response pattern. You're getting a tool with no idea how to use it.

A couple of points about small joint manipulations specific to all of them, this case in particular. One, remember that it's a part of a whole. One does not attempt to control a small, fast moving, sweat cover, blood soaked in all possibility, joint with out first striking. In my core system we called this a stun. Bear in mind, that a stun is not just a distraction, it's a destructive, knock them silly kind of movement. That's what allows you to manipulate the joint in the first place in the chaos of combat.

That strike or stun must be in a location that makes sense to the situation AND set up your manipulation. See where someone on hand to work with is key?

The next thing to consider, and a highly important and overlooked fact, is that this isn't really a throw. It's not a pain compliance "lock". It's a way to break a wrist and make sure it does not function to hurt you any further. The "throw" is actually a defensive movement taken by the uke to relieve the pressure. Joint destructions in practice don't cause this. The cause a broken wrist. Body mechanics may vary. What is more "real" is figuring out what to do after you break the wrist and he tries to disengage or tackle or strike with his good hand, ect.

Lastly, understand that this is a tool and train it as such, it is not the be all and end all tactic. In my experience, small joint work from a standing position is very tricky and sometime hypothetical in nature. Stuns can go a long way to mitigate this, but they are not a primary mode of attack. Now, where they shine is when you put a weapon in the other guys hand. Now, all focus, both your hands, have an excuse to be glued to a single one of his appendages. This is an important rule for a reason, to violate it you must have a good reason. A knife is that reason.

As for the more mundane facets, you must control the thumb and pinky near the wrist joint. The thenar and hypothenar eminences to be precise. Also, any time you attack a joint, you should extend that joint as to make it more effective. Lastly, consider attacking the boney structure on either side to weaken the joint or adjacent joints even to destroy the whole chain. In this case you'd look at the elbow. Again, there's lots that goes into this sort of thing mechanically and pattern wide.

Some guys will even argue that there's another level to building small joint work with the use of pressure points. I'm not saying that they are wrong. I'm just saying that if you utilize proper mechanics and leverage you probably don't need them once it's set. Prior to that, dealing with the limb that is attacking is of more import.

Still, it's another level to consider. See, I have been more than a mat monkey thru my career :lol:

^ This.

That said, I teach a few joint manipulations - I teach them in the manner of "Here is a bonus that you might be able to get to happen if the defense that you should already have been doing happens to end with their wrist falling into your hand. Don't go in planning to use them."

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

The video and the related videos described the technical aspects or the wrist throw rather well.

Just be careful when you practice it, OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Any kind of small joint work really mandates the presence of an instructor to work hands on. There are too many tiny details that don't transmit well via the written word.

That said, consider a couple of "big picture" points as you delve into this movement. First up, this is a snapshot of a particular manipulation. It's not in context with a combat situation. That doesn't make it bad, it just means it's PART of an overall pattern. By just looking at this part, if that's all one looks at, you're not building a response pattern. You're getting a tool with no idea how to use it.

A couple of points about small joint manipulations specific to all of them, this case in particular. One, remember that it's a part of a whole. One does not attempt to control a small, fast moving, sweat cover, blood soaked in all possibility, joint with out first striking. In my core system we called this a stun. Bear in mind, that a stun is not just a distraction, it's a destructive, knock them silly kind of movement. That's what allows you to manipulate the joint in the first place in the chaos of combat.

That strike or stun must be in a location that makes sense to the situation AND set up your manipulation. See where someone on hand to work with is key?

The next thing to consider, and a highly important and overlooked fact, is that this isn't really a throw. It's not a pain compliance "lock". It's a way to break a wrist and make sure it does not function to hurt you any further. The "throw" is actually a defensive movement taken by the uke to relieve the pressure. Joint destructions in practice don't cause this. The cause a broken wrist. Body mechanics may vary. What is more "real" is figuring out what to do after you break the wrist and he tries to disengage or tackle or strike with his good hand, ect.

Lastly, understand that this is a tool and train it as such, it is not the be all and end all tactic. In my experience, small joint work from a standing position is very tricky and sometime hypothetical in nature. Stuns can go a long way to mitigate this, but they are not a primary mode of attack. Now, where they shine is when you put a weapon in the other guys hand. Now, all focus, both your hands, have an excuse to be glued to a single one of his appendages. This is an important rule for a reason, to violate it you must have a good reason. A knife is that reason.

As for the more mundane facets, you must control the thumb and pinky near the wrist joint. The thenar and hypothenar eminences to be precise. Also, any time you attack a joint, you should extend that joint as to make it more effective. Lastly, consider attacking the boney structure on either side to weaken the joint or adjacent joints even to destroy the whole chain. In this case you'd look at the elbow. Again, there's lots that goes into this sort of thing mechanically and pattern wide.

Some guys will even argue that there's another level to building small joint work with the use of pressure points. I'm not saying that they are wrong. I'm just saying that if you utilize proper mechanics and leverage you probably don't need them once it's set. Prior to that, dealing with the limb that is attacking is of more import.

Still, it's another level to consider. See, I have been more than a mat monkey thru my career :lol:

Thanks, that would have taken a long time for me to type.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Solid post!!

Shindokan's brand of Tuite would have us, if need be, using one hand to control the wrist manipulation while using the other hand at the opponents elbow to aide in controlling of the opponents elbow keeping that elbow in check, but Alex was very, very solid with his post!!

And I'm with MP on this one...Thanks, that would have taken a long time for me to type.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Great post, tallgeese. Ever since I started Combat Hapkido, I've been sold on strike before joint manipulation. If you grab hold of someone's wrist, you've really got a tiger by the tail. That's why that striking aspect is so important.

• 4 weeks later...

The instructor in the video sure makes it look easy... I honestly have little to no experience with joint locks or throws (as in the video)... but I like to think I could pick up on a few basic moves if I was motivated to! And I think the same could be said for just about anyone!

My name is Dave and I attend martial arts classes in Gilbert, Arizona at Sandoval Freestyle Karate.

As a former british police officer I have used wrist locks and restraints in many serious and violent situations. As a private citizen I have used wrist locks twice in self defence.

Imo, when you use a wrist lock or manipulation technique like this in a self defense situation, you are really going for a break or dislocation or near as dammit. I believe it is next to impossible to get a throw as demonstrated in this video with a non compliant assailant who knows whats coming and how to react and fall.

I don't claim to be an authority nor do I speak for definitively, only in my experience!

DQ, I think you are right, I smell a courtesy throw here, a minor joint manipulation like this one would do some damage to the wrist if it was done with no co-operation.

Look to the far mountain and see all.