• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Supplementary exercises for karate?

Bluedot

OSU

I need some guidance. I practice Kyokushin karate 3 days a week of 1 hour sessions each. I am training in this art for the last one year and this is my first martial art style. So now you know I'm a beginner. I gave the test for Blue Belt last week (results are yet to be published) and while sparring realized that I need more power in my punches and kicks, flexibility and overall body strength. Additionally, I need to condition my shins and forearms to deliver effective blows and blocks. So my question is, do I have to do any supplementary training like weight/strength training, yoga or some other activity or is it enough to practice karate 3 days a week? Also, please help me on the conditioning part, I really need to perform better in my next exam.

P.S. I'm 20 and weigh around 155 lbs

Bluedot

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
OSU

I need some guidance. I practice Kyokushin karate 3 days a week of 1 hour sessions each. I am training in this art for the last one year and this is my first martial art style. So now you know I'm a beginner. I gave the test for Blue Belt last week (results are yet to be published) and while sparring realized that I need more power in my punches and kicks, flexibility and overall body strength. Additionally, I need to condition my shins and forearms to deliver effective blows and blocks. So my question is, do I have to do any supplementary training like weight/strength training, yoga or some other activity or is it enough to practice karate 3 days a week? Also, please help me on the conditioning part, I really need to perform better in my next exam.

P.S. I'm 20 and weigh around 155 lbs

Going to the dojo 3 days a week, in addition to practicing on your own every day, will be enough for you to see improvement over time. If you want to improve faster, then you will need to do additional work. For conditioning your shins and forearms, you should start with hitting a heavy bag--the more you hit it, the more your limbs will become accustomed to it. Over time you can also work kote kitae (forearm smashing partner drills) and use a maki-stick or dowel rod to tap or roll on your shins. For strength, I tend to stick with pushups (there are a lot of variations you can do), squats, and situps (again, lots of variations), but there are many other ones that are effective and useful. For cardiovascular fitness, sparring more, running your kata with high intensity, shadowboxing are great, and practicing your techniques underwater is a fantastic supplemental exercise as well.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I am of the opinion that strength training programs are always beneficial. If you want Kyokushin to be your main thing, then you won't be as focused on strength training as others might, and that's ok. I think if you did 2 days a week strength training, you would probably see some benefit. You could try for 3 if you like, but with that many classes in a week, you might fatigue more. But, you could try and see what you can do. Just listen to your body.

Programs like Starting Strength and Wendler 5/3/1, or even Stronglifts 5x5, are good to start with. Of the crew I chat with, 5/3/1 seems to be the program of choice, and Wendler has several variations of it that you can modify, and he even discusses conditioning.

Those are my thoughts. And don't be afraid to squat parallel! :)

When I'm not on a phone I'll give a longer reply. However, the cardio conditioning is perhaps the easiest thing to address. Work the bag. Round kicks, the same leg,start at 30 seconds per round and 10-15 seconds of rest max. Alternate legs, two rounds each. Then the same sort rest and move to punches for four rounds. Your cardio will improve as will your power. You cannot slack off on these rounds either. High volume and high power are the key to seeing any benefits.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Along the lines of what ShoriKid is suggesting, look up Tabata drills. Those would fit in nicely for you, and I think you can do just about any movement with them.

So far you've gotten some good advise. I'd like to reiterate a couple of points. Watch for the over training, 3 sessions a week MA training plus 2 sessions for conditioning should be enough to start with. Bag work along with basic strength training will do nothing but good. The one thing missing so far is power training! Simply, power is the application of strength training in fighting sports. Plyometrics {burpees, squat jumps, etc.}, medicine ball training along with Olympic lifts {consult a lifting coach} should do you wonders.

Do not forget the most important thing before AND after training.

Nutrition.

Get a protein shake and a good supply of anti-oxidants to help you build up your muscle mass for power and endurance.

A good cardio exercise is essential, like a quality rowing machine, say twice a week. Also remember to stretch muscles as well was build them, so pushups, squats and chrunches 4 times a week is a good plan.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

For power in your strikes and kicks, a good weight training regimen will work wonders. Since you're already training in Kyokushin three times a week which is grueling as it is, twice a week tops for your strength training. Focus on squats, cleans, pull-ups, dumbbell rows, dumbbell bench, and dumbbell press. Finish with some abdominal and grip work.

Cardio-wise, sprints are the name of the game. Do them after your strength training. 400m sprints with 2-3 minutes of rest in between, do as many as you can until your time goes over 120% of what your first time was, then quit. Shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes.

For flexibility, stretch every day. Again - every day. This is the toughest part for most guys, but it's one of the most important. Find a good routine that focuses on the splits (front and side) as well as incorporating dynamic stretches in your routine.

Conditioning your forearms and shins will take a long time so don't rush. Use the heavy bag and keep sparring. It'll take time but do it intelligently and you'll see good benefits.

OSU

Thank you for all the advice. As for the Tabata style, I'm considering introducing Tabata into the punch bag training as advised since the internet says that any exercise in Tabata style works wonders. As for sparring, as suggested by Kuma, I don't have much practice since my club does not allow sparring except in tournaments or exams (there are no good clubs nearby, even in any other style). Fortunately I have a friend who is a brown belt in Kyokushin and he comes over once a week and I do kata training and sparring with him.

Bluedot