• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Letting Go

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What about when your former student is going off and starting their own school? Do you ever feel weird about him/her out there teaching the things you taught him/her to others? Like they're peddling your product? How does that work?

This shouldn't be a discussion, because the answer is clearly when you are dead. There is always something more they can learn from you, and you from them.

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

What about when your former student is going off and starting their own school?

That's a proud moment for me. Why? Well, that IS the evolution of my students. From 'nest' one must 'fly'!! That student isn't gone because that same student will be still be learning from me; this is a beautiful thing.

Do you ever feel weird about him/her out there teaching the things you taught him/her to others?

No! I feel proud! Why? That student WILL evolve because they will have grown in their knowledge and the like, and in that, they'll add themselves into and beyond what I've taught them.

Like they're peddling your product? How does that work?

For just over 3 decades I've not been peddling Shindokan, no, I've been teaching Shindokan. Again, it's the evolution of a student that is teaching in their own school. Shindokan isn't my product; it's theirs as well.

I learnt from Dai-Soke and Dai-Soke learnt from Soke, and in that, my student has learnt from me...THEN...they add their betterment to Shindokan, and in that, Shindokan will evolve. If my Dai-Soke had told me that I couldn't do this or that concerning Shindokan, I would've went..."Whatever!! You don't own me and you don't own Shindokan. It's a free gift".

Spread your wings and fly!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 5 months later...

Well, I've been at it for 24+ years and I'm still with my CI... We're business partners in our dojo... So, I don't know. I would love to someday be out on my own, dojo speaking...

I think sensei8's comparison to children growing up and leaving home to experience life is probably the best analogy to this.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...