• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I had had a change of heart on this topic!

Few months back I was anti-fat, but to me its even MORE impressive if the overweight senseis can sparr/demonstrate moves!

Perhaps the whole bodybuilding culture has infected the general crowd

Now here is why being fat is not that relevant in martial arts provided the instructors can still perform and infact maybe an asset as well!

1.Martial arts/karate should be able to work for every walks of life regardless of there shape,size and height as well as gender provided the students are willing to work hard at it

2.Its not a beauty pagent, I have yet to see a bodybuilder win a street fight bench pressing his or her opponents or flexing his way out of a street brawl

3.Fedor Emlianko,James Toney, I ONLY named these two mma/boxing fighters because they are both fighting guys 2 or 3 weight classes higher then they are. Oh and lets add karo parisyan in there as well! Despite there bodyfat at some point all 3 folks have had success in there professional career using technique and aggression!

Inconclusion: sure it may help to reduce some bodyfat if the individual is inclined to do so but instructors should NOT be discriminated for being overweight.

Lets save the criticism for bad instructors,unprofessional remarks in training :)

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

the have the experience you need, to build you for a better player. The size doesn't matter because they dont practice with you that much, all they do is providing you with a guidance to be a better player, if dont see that then try another place. shape dont matter that much for instructors, what matter is his sharp brain and techniques.

Black belt in karate shotokan, a kumite player.

• 8 months later...

Man! Its been a year since I was active an it was on this thread!

Funny thing is, now I know who Roy Nelson,Fedor,Karo Parisyan,Bj penn,cole Konrad are and how good they are in the mma world.

Heck even Butterbean beat a Ripped/Muscular pro wrestler by the name of sean o hair in an mma fight, granted he is a boxer but still neither are a full fledged mma fighters but hey some boxing skills beats TONS of muscle/low bodyfat!

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

A book is judged by its cover. This is true. However, once the book is opened, and then read, and then appreciated, the contents overwhelm the tattered cover. My covers tattered, but that's it!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

A book is judged by its cover. This is true. However, once the book is opened, and then read, and then appreciated, the contents overwhelm the tattered cover. My covers tattered, but that's it!!

:)

Check out Roy Nelson vs Cheick Kongo!

One guy is a short,overweight heavyweight with mullet vs a 6,4 Lean,muscular muay thai practioner from France and the fight blew everyone away on how amazing Roy Nelson is.

Fight happened in april of 2013 and on last year of december this thread was the most active and few months later we got to see Roy Nelson vs Cheick Kongo...

Also check out Fedor vs Kevin Randleman as well!