• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why do you all train?

muttley

As I said in previous post, I returned to Shotokan after several years out. My main reasons are that I felt I was losing my patience all too quickly and that's not good in my line of work. I also want my cardio fitness levels to improve.

so what's everyone else's reason?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. I started MA when I was a teenager because I wanted to be a "karate guy". I was also bullied a lot, and I wanted to be able to put an end to that. What I realized is that MA gave me a physical outlet, greater appreciation for people, and more respect from my peers because of my increased confidence. While I was training, my self confidence soared (I was really self conscious and shy). I didn't feel the need to react every time someone looked at me wrong. I had to quit because of work and school.

Fast forward 22 years. I took a kickboxing class as a trial because I had the time one evening, and the spark ignited. 2 months later, I took a self defense class as part of a fitness challenge at my job. The spark turned into a fire. I started fooling with my schedule and finances to find a way. Sadly, there was no way. Then, after returning from a vacation, I went to the gym to workout and ran into a man teaching "self defense". I watched a few minutes of his class, and it looked very familiar. After class, I met with him and he invited me to take a class. I did, and the rest is history! Turns out he doesn't charge members of my gym because they give him a place to train. I do pay him for additional classes at his normal dojo, though. And the class schedule works with mine!

Now, I train for fitness, discipline, and inner peace!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Primarily for self defense. That's always been at the heart of why I train. Granted, at this point, I spend a lot of time on the mat for the art of it as well. But at the end of the day, all secondary reasons aside, I train for self defense. All the other stuff is benefits of that reason.

These days I train for personal protection/preservation, but to be honest, as a child I kept going because it was the only thing I ever really felt good at. It came natural to me, and it made me feel good about myself at a time when little else did.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training"

Self protection, the enjoyment of exploring the art, fitness. Oh, yeah and I'm addicted to the martial arts. No, seriously, you should see the shakes I get after a week or two without training.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I honestly don't know... I started with my daughter, and originally it was mostly just to support her with the added bonus of adding some variety to my workout routine. When she decided to quit after a year I had a complete panic attack at the thought of not training anymore. So I decided to keep going without her. When I wake up in the morning, the first thing that goes through my head is "what day is it, and is there karate?" and if the answer is yes I get out of bed just a fraction faster, and am in a better mood all day. So yeah, I guess I'm an addict! :lol: However, I can't really articulate the reasons why that is.

I mainly train to keep up my fitness levels,and i also enjoy each particular class and of course,i believe you never stop learning,you could have learned our particular style of karate for many years but there is always new things to learn.

keeping fit keeps you healthy.Karate is excellent way to keep fit and learn self-discipline