• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question.

I'm of the opinion that once you earn it, it's yours. You did the work. No one can take that away from you. There are so many intangibles involved in the ma's that it's hard to quantify them based solely on mat performance.

Sure, they are perishable skills. You won't have the skills you did if you stop for 5 years. But you've got all that time under you. Not recognizing that is a bit disrespectful. Sure, you'll have to spend some time picking them back up if you want to train seriously again, but the qualifier of "I've been off for five years" should be enough of an explanation.

This is certainly true if you're studying another art. Martial progress is martial progress. There's only different methods.

Have to agree.

I'm not one that believes 'once a black belt always a black belt'. If you haven't maintained your skills or kata,if you haven't continued to train, then you are a white belt that used to be a XX belt. It makes even less sense to cling to it if switching to a totally different art/style/school.

Leaves fall.

For me black belt is a recognition that your are able to practice your art independently. Not that you have to work out alone, but you have skills to evaluate what you are doing and even develop your art future.

This understanding does not go a way after a break. Physical condition can decrease, but it's not so important.

• 5 months later...

well to me you keep it (if they stop for under 5 years) as you have worked hard to earn it. But if you stop for more than 10 years (with NO training) then you should really go back to a white belt as you may have forgotten the syllabus.

As i stopped for 5 years i still kept my rank

Within the history of Shindokan, and it's Hombu, rank HAS been taken away; demotion.

For example, my most senior student was demoted several years ago by our Hombu for lying on the application for a upcoming testing cycle. Without going into a great deal of information, our Hombu has demoted 6 of varying Dan ranks for various serious infractions, and the first one was done in 1966.

Rank isn't forever, however, the knowledge is forever!! Mess up serious enough to warrant said actions, our Hombu will demote rank.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It certainly depends on how you look at it. I see two options:

1. Black belt = a person who can perform at a certain skill level

Option 1 example: Sumo. In the art of sumo, you fight for rank and lose rank based on your fights. If you lose a fight, you go down in rank. If you win fights, you go up in rank.

2. Black belt = a person who completed a prescribed set of standards

Option 2 example: A person can go through medical school and never work as a physician with patients. Yet, 20 years later, that person still has the title doctor. I wouldn't want that person operating on me, but they retain the title none the less.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

It certainly depends on how you look at it. I see two options:

1. Black belt = a person who can perform at a certain skill level

Option 1 example: Sumo. In the art of sumo, you fight for rank and lose rank based on your fights. If you lose a fight, you go down in rank. If you win fights, you go up in rank.

2. Black belt = a person who completed a prescribed set of standards

Option 2 example: A person can go through medical school and never work as a physician with patients. Yet, 20 years later, that person still has the title doctor. I wouldn't want that person operating on me, but they retain the title none the less.

If the standards have been lessened by the individual by their premeditated actions, then that individual must be held accountable. Otherwise, the standards mean nothing!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!