• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how do"you" train?

hiddendragon98

im confused i usually train every day but i always have trouble figuring out what to do with the time for example some days i will just do kata other days i will work on muscle building exercises then other days i'll do muscle building and flexibility then other days i might do all 3 but i won't have time enough for alot of each 1 anyway i need and organized schedule thats the same everyday any advice?

"walk on"-Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My advice would be to not do the same routine everyday - it will quickly become boring.

My aim is to train 5-6 days a week (at least 2 in formal classes) and mix it up. Really i just try to push myself harder and harder on excersizes ever time they come around.

Think of it like bicept training at a gym. If you do bicepts everyday, you will end up burning out on one area, while seriously neglecting others.

I like to mix it up daily along the lines of:

- Formal class;

- Jogging, kata and calisthenics;

- Cardio and resistance;

- Formal Class;

- etc etc

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I tend to do kata and technique/combinations in my 'between' times. I have quite a muscular frame and have always had a lot of strength so don't do a lot of muscle building at all. I do find that I am pretty much training all day everyday because if I'm not actually doing the kata or technique, I am going through the moves in my head. I also shadow spar (only in private though :D )

Stretching and flexibility is my biggest enemy on the Dojo so I do a lot of this too. I watch telly in a box spit (not a full one mind :o ) and do as many other exercises, like kibadachi for an extended period, or deep zenkutsu dachi etc etc

If you get a lot of class time, then use your free time to work on the fun stuff you like, or something in particular in class you want to spend more time on.

Also, there is nothing wrong with just doing form review or basic movements, either.

A guy named Loren Christensen put out a few books called The Way Alone, Solo Training, and Solo Training 2, with some good ideas in them for just that purpose. I have read all these books, and they have some good ideas that you can use verbatim, or tweak to your liking.

First, what are your goals? It sounds like you just do stuff on a whim with no goal or game plan to reach them. If you are 250lbs of solid muscle, but never trained a day in your life in karate, you will have much different goals than a person who is 160lbs and has a black belt.

Once you develop a goal, you can then spend time developing a plan to reach them. Don't go by how others train. Don't imitate their programs. Go figure out exactly what you want out of your training and then come back for ideas on training that will get you there.

Do you want to get faster?

Do you need to work on your balance?

Are you carrying too much fat?

Are you too skinny and weak, big and strong or just want to grow your muscle mass a bit?

Lastly, you need to also give your body time to rest and repair itself. This is a very important part of training.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)