• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to get demoted...on purpose!

monkeygirl

Well, I got yelled at by goofing off (in TSD as a green belt). Well, I should say, I was showing off LOL. I learned a few "tricks" at an early rank (obviously), so I was trying them in the middle of step sparring training hehehehehe. But that wasn't cause for me to get demoted. 20 push-ups did just fine for punishment.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the humor in doing "disrespectful" things within the walls of the dojang. I just don't :-? ... this is not the time nor the place.

As a black belt I try to set a good example for the lower ranks (trying to keep laughing and chatting down to a minimum -that's saying alot for me!)

I guess I'm not a product of a "relaxed" dojang .... we all get together outside of training to do those "silly" things.

We do have the occasional laugh when someone is constantly called to say the student creed --we all call her name out under our breath because never fails she is always called! (even when she's not in class!)

:lol: .....I guess the point of this is just that sometimes there were things you'd always like to do when your instructor maybe goes a bit hard on you, you've had a hard day, or maybe you were just feeling rather goofy and something strange crossed your mind. I'd like to hear what it is lol

This is not stuff you would ever actually do...at least that's not what I intended it to be. I mean, c'mon I'd never go "bonk on the head!" to my instructor!!! :o

A lot of this had to do with the hour that I posted, the fact that my goofball brother was in the room, and the stupid ideas we come up with :lol:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

My TSD dojang was relaxed in a way. By that, I mean if we weren't "in class." We would do some crazy stuff, like having contests on who can run, jump, and side kick the heavy bag at the longest jump distance, or how many 360's we could do in a row, or monk sparring each other (no gear and anything goes .... light contact). But this stuff usually happened AFTER class (the adult class was the last class of the day). But during class, my instructor was tough. He was a tough cookie, so he didn't mind if we let lose after class. He actually enjoyed watching us goofballs LOL He actually goofed around with us at times :D

In my TKD dojang, I still do that (after class). But if one of the instructors caught me in a "bad day" as you say, they'd hear about it after class. I learned to speak my mind with this school, because some stuff here is weird and off the wall rules. But I haven't said/done anything to get demoted. Some of my ideas they used :D

Laurie F

• 10 months later...
I would say to get demoted for us in shotokan its putting the not of your belt to the right side and it means you want to challenge the sensei well do that and put a big grin on your face whenever you look at him/her and if asked to spar then say no your not worth my time i only spar 7thdan and above lol

Mo Duk Pai Kung fu - Green Sash (https://www.modukpai.com)

Shotokan Karate - Orange Belt (https://www.nwkarate.com)

Future plans - Go to a Shaolin academy.(https://www.shaolins.com)

"Forget" your pants.

Bow constantly throughout the class.

Kiai during meditation.

Incorporate a latin dance move into your kata.

Ask a ton of questions on a technique you learned last year and look thoroughly confused at the explanation.

Switch your regular belt for a colourfull leather belt.

Show up to class 15 minutes before the end of class for 2 weeks.

Eat lots of beans and fart loudly throughout the class.

Pretend to fall asleep when the instructor talks.

I have never actually done any of the above but I have commited similar (and worse) pranks in grade school. I was quite a troublemaker and I still am except now it is (fortunately) only in my imagination.

"Nothing is impossible to the willing mind."