• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Prevention of Long term injury to joints

Ya once hitting the heavy bag I found out the purpose of bag gloves and wrist wraps. Also starting punching without hyper extending my elbow. The heavy bag made me a much better puncher. Still have trouble with speed bag.

I stretch and make sure im warmed up before class. Even when we do calastenics there. (although now I go to the side and do my own, one brown belt privelage if given permission) I have lingering injuries in my shoulder and knee.

Ever since i dislocated my shoulder it has not been correct. It was exrayed and nothing was found. So is there anything I can do to strengthen my shoulder without injuring it? Not very knowlegable on the shoulder and shoulder injuries.

:karate: :brow: :P :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shoulder injuries in my experience are a major lingering problem. You will really learn the importance of not overextending your punches or torqueing funny from the shoulders doing choku tsuki punching drills or you will continue to feel the shoulders.

Try looking at the rotator cuff thread for links.

I noticed with all this talk of hyperextending of kicks and punches) we failed to neglect the mention of the proper execution of kicks and punches in the practice of forms/kata/hyungs.

I am presently working on 3 forms that I need to perform for my 2nd dan grading and working on "controlling" certain kicks within the form.

Especially in TKD the kick is not supposed to be thrown like a whip done so fast that it cannot be seen. Within the TKD form only, the kick is to be savored.... kick held out with full extension, perfect balance, foot bladed... it exemplifies the beauty of the TKD "kick". So needless to say it is most important to control the kick in this instance.

The ability to freeze the kick for a split second at full extension is what is mean't by "controlling the kick". This "freezing" of the kick exemplifies the beauty of the kick within the form giving the form drama.

This control involves concentration and diligent practice. You must first be sure your form is correct before you work on this control .... most important.

Then you must consider "power" and how to execute that within your kick being sure not to hyperextend.

What is an impressive kick if it has great form, balance, and control, but no power. It would merely look like a dance kick with the form rather than a devestating martial art kick.

Just as proper form is prerequisite to control, control is prerequisite to developing this power in your kick and also punches. If you try to develop such power without frst having this control,then permanent injury to your joints may result.

Sit the floor and extend your leg as if you were doing a front kick, Slowly extend your leg completely until the knee is locked out and the foot is pointed in the right

direction.Then tense every muscle in the leg ... "freeze" it in that position. Then, relax and bend the knee as if you had just finished the kick. Repeat until you see how your muscles should feel at the “freeze” of the kick. Stay mostly relaxed doing this exercise. Tense only at the

moment of full extension.

Also do this exercise standing up.You can hold on to a chair or wall.

You apply this “freeze” technique to regular kicks once you have practised this for awhile and have somewhat "mastered" those muscle.

Remember that your leg should only be locked (frozen) at full extension for a just a second and no longer.

This takes alot of practice. I am working at trying to getting that power in the kick for my form without overextension and it isn't easy!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i honestly think everything we do in martial arts is somewhat detrimental to our body. the whole cycle of stretching and strenthening, and the process of bone building....we need to stress teh body before it gets stronger. anytime we do this same training regimen for years adn years, we're bound to get wear and tear.. and even tho despite training with perfect techniques, because our bodies are so different from each others, we may still be hurting ourselves in the long run. this applies to all sports and even to everyday occupations (carpal tunnel syndrome anyone?). my comment is not that we cant take precautionary measures, but that for any activity over a prolonged period of time...our bodies are bound to start resisting our beloved activity (shoulder injuries with swimmers, knee injuries with runners, lower back pain wiht labourers, tendonitis with musicians). but of course, even with all the impact MAs gruellingly put us through, benefits outweigh the negatives