• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GKR never denies a grading.

Our instructors only have students go up for rank when they believe that they are ready, HOWEVER, students can and do fail.

NEVER failing ANYONE at a ranking, no matter how poorly they do or how incapable they are? What does the rank mean, then?

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I grade MY students, I WILL fail them if they don't measure up. I tend to send them away to try again if they mess up again they've failed.

But then again I won't put someone in for a grade if they're not going to pass.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I think most instructors will only allow a student to test if they are sure they will pass, so maybe they didn't fail the girl because they were trying to protect their own pass rate in their dojo.

Still sounds a bit pointless though as the rank will then mean nothing.

Also 6 does seem a young age to be a 5th Kyu.

The 2 best times to go fishing are when its raining and when it isn't raining... the same can be said for karate

Only my dojo is using a Kari system for the people that don't fully qualify for advancement in rank?

Definition: Kari is like a B rank for the people that their skills need improving until they fully qualify for their rank. They are tested again in the next grading where they also get tested for the next ranking if they pass the previous Kari induced test.

That's why I love how our Soke conducted any and all testing cycles...NO PREPARATION of any type. Come testing day, and you've been granted permission to test, you better know your syllabus and you better know it very well.

Students, no matter rank, had to submit a request for testing, then, you were either denied or granted to attend the testing cycle. If you were a Hombu student, then Soke or Dai-Soke would grant/deny requests. If you were a student of a Shindokan dojo, your Sensei had to forward your request with your Sensei's recommendations attached to it for the Hombu to deny/request.

No testing allowed without the expressive consent of the Hombu, no matter the rank!!

That was then...and that is still how it's done.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 year later...
GKR stands for Go-Kan-Ryu. It is a style of karate founded by Kancho Robert Sullivan. It is a mix of Shotokan and Goju-Ryu I think

Yes it is a mix of Goju and Shotokan. I was bored the other day and looked up their site

• 3 weeks later...
That's why I love how our Soke conducted any and all testing cycles...NO PREPARATION of any type. Come testing day, and you've been granted permission to test, you better know your syllabus and you better know it very well.

Students, no matter rank, had to submit a request for testing, then, you were either denied or granted to attend the testing cycle. If you were a Hombu student, then Soke or Dai-Soke would grant/deny requests. If you were a student of a Shindokan dojo, your Sensei had to forward your request with your Sensei's recommendations attached to it for the Hombu to deny/request.

No testing allowed without the expressive consent of the Hombu, no matter the rank!!

that's quite a smart thing to do in terms of having people grade. I'm guessing your hombu has a file on every single student (+ photo) that trains at all your dojo's?

Since my school has only 1 dojo we don't worry about a massive file. But apparently my sensei is opening 2 more schools and will be having me at one of them (oh boy that will be insane) he will be most likely following suit in what your doing. As he wants to open 2 dojos; 1 will be open in the next couple of years and the other one in about 10 years time. as we are looking for places to open them obviously and that has excellent exposure (so lots of foot traffic and cars will see it) and parking. Oh and also has an affordable rate of usage of the space.

The key thing with GKR, they do fail people in grading - when it suits them. They never deny entry to a grading - in fact the reverse. Grading are a requirement - you have to do them, and pay for that. Wether you are ready for it, want it or feel up to it or not. You are grading and paying for it. the key word in all this - paying.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

that's quite a smart thing to do in terms of having people grade. I'm guessing your hombu has a file on every single student (+ photo) that trains at all your dojo's?

Since my school has only 1 dojo we don't worry about a massive file. But apparently my sensei is opening 2 more schools and will be having me at one of them (oh boy that will be insane) he will be most likely following suit in what your doing. As he wants to open 2 dojos; 1 will be open in the next couple of years and the other one in about 10 years time. as we are looking for places to open them obviously and that has excellent exposure (so lots of foot traffic and cars will see it) and parking. Oh and also has an affordable rate of usage of the space.

Our Hombu carries the Master File for each and every student.

All testing, and I mean all testing must be approved by the Hombu, no matter the rank/tenure. Soke was adamant about that and there was no way to get around that.

Even if you owned your own dojo, you still had to get the approval of all tests in-house by the Hombu, or the grade was not valid without Soke/Dai-Soke's approval.

Now that they're gone, our Testing Department approves all testing cycles both in the Hombu and in each Shindokan dojo. No exceptions!!

The key thing with GKR, they do fail people in grading - when it suits them. They never deny entry to a grading - in fact the reverse. Grading are a requirement - you have to do them, and pay for that. Wether you are ready for it, want it or feel up to it or not. You are grading and paying for it. the key word in all this - paying.

Money will make governing bodies do things like this, imho!! Going to force me to test, even if I'm not ready or feel that I'm not ready...Why? So they can increase their bottom line...money!! Doesn't the instructor have a say into things like this? If not...ouch!!